Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 gauge SP with 28" barrels. I use it for upland hunting and duck hunting. I am considering having it backbored and the forcing cones lengthened to reduce recoil. The other option is to install a recoil device such asa Gracoil system. Any opinions on this?

G

·
First there are only two ways to reduce recoil. One is to reduce the weight and/or velocity of the load you are using. Another is to increase the weight of the firearm, the charge will still leave with the same momentum but the effect will be lessoned. Momentum is mass times velocity.
Backboring and chamber lenthenging unless they allow blowbuy and there for velocity reduction will do nothing.
Recoil devices will only reduce the felt recoil and little at best they provide cushioning.
The aftermarket makes a good deal of money from people thinking that what the aftermarket people say is correct and there is only subjective testing for one to do.
Best to stay away from the 3" and 2&3/4" Magnums for ducks and use an appropriate load or get a heavy shotgun for waterfowl. I use 8# shotguns for waterfowl and 3" loads.-Dick

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sounds pretty drastic to me for a hunting gun. I've got a 686 Silver Pigeon 12 gauge with 28" barrels. I put on a Pachmayr Triple Magnum pad and it made a lot of difference.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Backboring and forcing cones won't make any significant difference.

If the gun doesn't already have a good recoil pad, that will make a huge difference, and is the very first thing you should do. Also, reducing the amount of shot and the velocity will make a huge difference.

You shouldn't even consider a Gracoil until after you've done those other things.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Backboring and the lengthening of forcing cones will give you much better patterns, but like the others, I don't think it will reduce recoil.

Bob

·
Registered
468 Posts
silverhawk said:
Try out the Limbsaver recoil pads. One of my friends claims it makes a difference.
I have tried Limbsaver on several guns. 416 mag and 10g.
I could really feel the difference.
Try to borrow a slip on---
If you live around here, you could borrow mine

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The first thing I did to my Beretta was to put a limbsaver pad on it. They really make a difference over standard pads. I have them on all of my trap guns now and would never change.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
LongShank said:
The other option is to install a recoil device such asa Gracoil system. Any opinions on this?
I have one of these on my 12g 687 SP and it really sucks up the recoil. I love it. However you might want to consider putting on a kick-eez to reduce recoil.

If that doesn't work as well as you want then you might want to consider the Gracoil. Just my $0.02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts