Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
That was a good price.

However, don't fret that the shop did not clean the gun. That goop is standard on all NIB shotguns. It's there to protect the gun against corrosion and is put there by the manufacturer. Any good gunshop would leave it so the gun would not rust unless the gun were put out on display.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You NEED to clean that stuff before shooting the gun. Any good solvent (Hoppes No. 9, Shooter's Choice, etc) designed for use on firearms will work well. Make sure to soak the bores in solvent and run a bronze brush and a few patches through before shooting, too.

Also, make sure to grease the bearing surfaces where the forend meet the receiver and where the barrels pivot inside the receiver with a good grease before shooting the gun. Clean this grease off and reapply every time you shoot the gun.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
FWIW, Hoppes No. 9 and Shooter's Choice are two different products. Either one will work well. Hoppe's isn't quite as agressive and it my choice.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You should also clean the gunk off of the outside of the gun as well. Hoppe's will work well for this, too. After you clean this gunk off, you shouldn't have to use solvent on the exterior of the gun again. You will need to clean out the inside of the receiver every so often and a little solvent will make this go faster.

Don't worry too much about Hoppe's as long as you don't let it sit on the gun too long. Let it soak for 1 - 2 minutes and that's plenty.

I should have mentioned it in my first posts but make sure to oil the gun after using any solvent. Any solvent will strip the gun of oil and leave it susceptible to rust.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Technically, it's not necessary with a Beretta because the bores are chromed, but I do it anyway just to be safe. It is necessary with any gun that does not have chromed bores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.