Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I just joined this forum and need to ak your assistance. I just purchased a never before shot Silver Reserve for $475 cdn, a good deal because they sell for $550-$600 up here. I cleaned the packing grease and grit out of it, which was considerable, and then began to read on the Internet. Wow. The only sliver of good news I found out was that mine was manufactured after Mossberg fixed the firing pin issue.

Has anyone ever had a good experience with them? Please tell me about it.

I will go on a few duck/upland hunts each fall and will shoot a bit of skeet, probably 15-20 boxes of shells in a year.

I don't need to hear anymore second hand POS comments. I only want to hear from owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I have owned two Silver Reserves, 20 gauge and 28 gauge. The twenty gauge was a piece of garbage that I ended up selling for $75. The 28 gauge was mediocre, with a terrible trigger pull. I traded that one off, just to be rid of it. The twenty gauge was an early gun. The 28 gauge was better put together inside, and might have lasted a while, but I don't miss either of them. Sorry, but true. Mark

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
One of our shooters in our winter skeet league is shooting a 20 gauge S/R. He shoots four boxes every Sunday morning and had to trouble so far. I had one for a while but didn't like the trigger pull and I traded it.

·
Premium Member
11,274 Posts
Not much has changed since you asked the same question on Mar. 24th

If you're happy with the purchase then what's it matter what others think.

Or are you looking for validation for the purchase after the fact. Just curious since you don't want to read anything negative.

sns2 said:
I don't need to hear anymore second hand POS comments. I only want to hear from owners.
Go shoot it and enjoy your gun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Once they fixed the firing pin issue they were an OK gun. I have a 28ga I use primarily as a grouse gun. It handles very well, but I have no illusions of the gun holding up to tens of thousands of rounds. I have probably 1,500-2,000 rounds through mine with no issues.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
hopper810 said:
Not much has changed since you asked the same question on Mar. 24th

If you're happy with the purchase then what's it matter what others think.

Or are you looking for validation for the purchase after the fact. Just curious since you don't want to read anything negative.

sns2 said:
I don't need to hear anymore second hand POS comments. I only want to hear from owners.
Go shoot it and enjoy your gun.
He didn't say he didn't want to hear Negative comments he just wants to hear them from actual owners. I think it's reasonable given how frequent comments are based on what someone heard as opposed to experienced.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I had one. 28 ga. 750 rounds and then I sold it.
It worked perfectly.
I even liked it.
I ended up scouring my safes and getting rid of anything not made in the USA.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bought a used one last fall. Used it throughout the season hunting ducks, geese, pheasant and quail with no problems. Liked it enough to have it camo dipped after the season, got it back in time to take a turkey with it a week ago. Don't know any others who have had one, but I have had no problems with mine.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I've well documented my misery with a 28ga Khan Artemis Supreme (which is what it was called before they slapped the Mossberg name on it). It was a doubling, choke breaking, poorly regulated total POS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brand new here but I have had no problems with my Silver Reserve 12GA Sporting (manufactured in Turkey), it was made after the firing pin problem according to Mossberg CS ( I contacted them after I read all the horror stories on sites like this). I have about 2500 rounds through it shooting 5 stand. Some of the guys at the club I belong to have $2500 and up over unders and say for an extra grand I could buy something better - I'm a regular working guy and My Silver Reserve works fine for me. I spoke to a local gunsmith and he said if you got a good one keep it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am kind of late to the party but I bought mine used from someone here on Shotgun World. Mine is a later model with the firing pin issue fixed. When I bought mine the previous owner said he put about 750 rounds through it. I put about 1500 more and then...the firing pins went. I sent the gun to Mossberg and in about 10 days and no charge I got my gun back. I barely a 1000 more rounds and the firing pins went again. Same deal, back to Mossberg it went. I have had the gun back awhile now and I am at about 2000 round count and it is still shooting fine. Overall, I like the gun. I used it for trap, 5-stand and sporting clay along with bird hunting. It shoots well for me but I just have trust issues with the firing pins now. It's not a matter of if they go out again but when.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My grandson bought one back in 2004 when they were still known by the manufactures name: KAHN

He has used it for skeet and high school trap ever since. One of the firing pins broke in 2007. I contacted Mossberg and they mailed me two new ones. This gun has I have no idea how many thousand rounds through it and it is still going strong.

I think he has been lucky. These guns should work fine for someone who goes hunting a few times each year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts