Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,i know this is in the wrong are,just dont know where i would post this. heres this question.how is those simmons blazer and 8 point scope for a .22.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Pretty much any scope will do fine on a .22. Mainly due to the near complete lack of any recoil.

You might check out Shooting World for a bit more detail though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have never liked Simmons scopes. They are crap in my opinion.
The top of the lines Simmons may be just fine but I do have a very low opinion overall of Simmons.

I would buy a Tasco long before I would consider a Simmons.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol.thats the thing,i think tascos suck. had a 4x15mm and it went to he!!. i have a barska on my 22 now.thinking of getting another soon.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I myself have a simmons 2x6 eer w/ 32mm objective lens on my Savave Striker, which is a two shot bolt action pistol,chambered in 300wsm. This scope does handle the recoil of this gun but, for a 32mm lens the clarity sucks and I think the eye relief isn't much better. I have also had the simmons whitetail scope and again I was not impressed with the clarity of the optics. But what can I expect out of a low end scope.

As for a scope on a .22 almost any of the lower end rifle scopes will work on them because you are not going to be shooting it at 100yds and beyond so the clarity of the optics or not as big of an issue. Bushnell, Baraska, Mueller, and a host of others have many scopes that will work out on a .22. I would also suggest to get a scope with at least 32mm objective lens to allow more light in the scope.

·
Registered
820 Posts
ANY scope with a $59.95 (or less) price is a POS and WILL fail on you at some point. Recoil has nothing to do with it. The internals will give up the ghost mounted on a 22.

I have no experience with scopes "in-between" the junkers and Burris/Leupold.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I have had a Simmons 2.5-10 x50mm on my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 for over 20 years. It has been perfect, but I only use it for deer hunting and a little target shooting. I think if someone shot a lot they probably wouldn't last. It has helped me put many deer in the freezer, though.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The older Simmons scopes, made in the Phillipines, although not optically as good as a Nikon, Burris, or Leupold, were well-made. No fogging, no problems with recoil.

The jury is still out on the Chinese-made Simmons scopes, but they seem to be having more problems than the older ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had a Simmons Blazer 3x9x50 on my STG58 for years and it's held up well to several thousand rounds. The optics have stayed clear and it's held it's zero just fine. Of course, this type of rifle is not a tack driver so maybe I wouldn't have been as happy with the scope if it were on a really accurate rifle. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe that simmons is not a manufacturer of scopes but rather a seller they just get scopes made to a price from a factory (just as tasco does) so the scopes can range from OK to very good depending on model the Whitetail Expedetion series were superb I have a 1.5x6 on a 9.3X62 and it hasn't given me any trouble I also hav a 44 Mag series and while not as nice optically as the WTE it to has not given me any grief
I have no experience with the later scopes
if you are looking for a good scope for the money try looking far a Mueller

·
Registered
502 Posts
smlekid, I have to agree with you about the Mueller scopes. I have a 4x16x50mm lighted mil dot on my 25wssm and I have to say it is one of the nicest scopes I have ever had mounted on any of my rifles. I like it so much that I was contemplating mounting it on the 7milimonster mag for deer hunting this past season but I just could not bring myself to take off the luepold.

The Mueller cost less than half of what I paid for the luepold and I think it is very comparible in clarity all the way out to the edges of the lens and it gathers an incredible amount of light, even with two 3" sunshields mounted on her I think it garthers more light than the simmons whitetail that was on the .270 which now has a Nikon on it.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I am on my 4th (yes, number four) Simmons Master Series 2.8-10x44 Aetec scope in less than one year. For the "top of the line" in the Simmons series, it has been very much a disappointment to me. The first one self destructed upon the third round fired from a 7mm/08 rifle. I sent that back and recieved two more due to a mix up as they moved their offices across the country. The second one came apart internally within 10 rounds of the same type and caliber of factory ammuntion. I put the third one on and was able to get to about the same number of rounds before it went to pieces. I sent both back (along with a target showing the "pattern" of the third scope with the actual rounds numbered as to their order shot at the target) and a second target using a different scope using the last three rounds in the box. I recieved the fourth scope and it sat in the box until last week when I put it on a 270 Win for a lark. This gun will put three rounds of factory Federal 130 gr bullets in one hole with an inexpensive Chinese made 3-9x40 Tasco. I did not get quite the same degree of accuracy with the Simmons but I'll give it one more try before contacting them one more time. I have an early model 2.8-10x44 Aetec which has been a very dependable scope for me. It sat on top of a 300 Win mag for several years and has survived nearly 1,000 rounds put through it. The scope now sits on a Ruger 10/22 after having served a couple years on my 6mm Rem. From my recent personal experiences, I would place the $50 Tasco above the $150 Simmons. Others may find different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts