Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a single shot black powder, percussion shotgun that is rather odd to my relatively inexperienced eyes. On top of the octagonal barrel are engraved the words "Cofer Norfolk". There are markings before and after these words that are too worn for me to read with my loupe. On the underside of the barrel is the Birmingham black powder shotgun proof mark, two Birmingham inspection proof marks, the number 24, and the letter R.

From my research so far, TW Cofer was a Civil War gunsmith based in Portsmouth, VA, which is across the river from Norfolk. I am wondering, was it common for Confederate gunsmiths to get barrels that were proofed in England, stamp their own name on them, then assemble the gun?

I'd really like to know more about what I have here if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance!
Brown Property Door Wood Window
Wood Handle Bicycle part Shelf Wood stain
Wood Shotgun Wood stain Natural material Hardwood
Tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper Bicycle part
Hood Blue Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Wood Electric blue Circle Button Metal
Fluid Wood Gas Electric blue Automotive lighting
Wood Audio equipment Gas Electric blue Circle
Blue Azure Rectangle Grey Wood
Blue Azure Input device Gadget Game controller

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very common occurrence to have English components on American guns. Many locks for instance that were assembled to make guns came from England.

The front finial on the triggerguard for instance is known as a "Pineapple" style, and would have English roots (in design, not manufacture). Your example is rather crude.

Still cool though!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was given a very similar gun by my grandfather in 1952. His uncle was the original owner (circa 1880), who claimed to have bought it new for $1.10. Parts, as well as complete guns, were imported from England and Belgium. Many of these guns and parts were proofed in England, some not. Grandpa told me that loaded with buck and ball, it kicked like a mule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts