Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-I'm looking to buy a utility single shot in 20ga or perhaps 28 ga. My wife is new to shooting, so she'd be working with it, and I'd also probably use it to shoot at grouse (as opposed to hitting any of them). It looks to me that, if I want a new one, the only options are New England Firearms, H&R, and Rossi (if these are even separate companies). Any opinions on which would be best? Any actual experience with them? None of them looks really well-finished to me, but you get what you pay for I guess. Also, what are some good used guns to look for? I know Stevens made nice tight single-shots for quite awhile--I had one in .410 when I was a kid. Like a dope, I sold it a few years ago. Anyway, I'd be interested in any advice or opinions.Thanks to all:) Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
i've got a harrison&richardson model 98 single 12, mod. choke and 3" chamber, it's always done right by me, it looks nice and i since i got used to their action release i prefer it now

·
Registered
16 Posts
The H&R is the way to go for a break top.Used they can be had for $50 to $75.New a little over 100.They have been making these almost 100 years.They are a classic.If you looking the used route the Mossberg 185 is a fine choose. The model 185K has an adjustable choke while the 185D has a detachable choke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
H&R, I had an H&R 20 ga. forever when I was young, fired a gazillion rounds through it and never had a single problem. Saw the same model on line for $84. Loved that gun. Miss that gun

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't miss my H&R topper 12ga. because I still got it. Haven't used it for years but, It's nice to know it will function with out a flaw now as it did than. Shells

1 - 5 of 5 Posts