singleshot
clays738.89%
waterfowl15.56%
upland422.22%
an oar/anchor[just kidding]633.33%

·
Registered
520 Posts
A Browning BT99 or BT100 is great for trap singles. I have 3 single shot guns , 2 given to me 1 I bought. The only thing they are good for is kicking my butt! With really really light loads they would be good to start someone out with but they do kick bad even with 1 oz loads. The one I have is an odd eastern European brand I can't remember, but the quality is nice, great blue job onn the barrel, choke tubes, vent rib. Thought it would make a nice gun to start my boys out with. I shot one half a round of trap with it and have not shot it since. Kicks like a mean old mule. Only set me back $120 as I recall. Might make a good turkey gun.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Duck, you say it kicks like a mean old mule huh? That's my kind of gun. Name it "Ole meat in the pot". Thats what my Dad called his single springfield 12 which I now own and use every now and then. A good single is hard to beat if you ain't needin to get off more than one shot. I used to carry a shell in my hand when I got close to game and that way I could reload quick. I shot a squirrell with #4 shot using the springfield. I shot this squirrell 5 times and it still ran up a holler tree. The last shot knocked him out of his tree and he fell between my feet. I was looking for another one that I had saw cuting and I heard the leaves rustle and I looked down just in time to see him go up a tree and in the hole. I know that I hit the thing every shot. He just didn't want to go to the skillet. The only reason I was using #4's was I was out of #6's and my huntin buddy insisted that we go. He couldn't believe that I shot that many shots and had no game to show. I normally have one critter for each shot. He had 4. I had none. A sad day in the life of a country boy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why??? the single shot is probably the most reliable shot gun you can buy.. I have a nef 10ga and a h&r topper deluxe 12ga that I have put over a 1000rounds in with no problems.. guns that can fire multiple rounds are nice but I have never had to fire more than one round at a target to brind it down.. especially with the 10ga. :wink: [/quote]

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
It is a shame that more people are not 'brought up on' single-shots...It would teach them how to pick and choose their shots, and how to hit their target when they 'need' to...

Can not tell you how much I hate watching guys in the swamps shooting at birds that are nowhere near being in range and 3 guys empty their semi's...9 expensive shells, plastic wads all over the water, and no birds...

Makes em look pretty stupid in my book...

I still use 2 NEF Pardners...One in 20 and one in 12...They claim bunnies from the garden every year, and I even carried the 20 jump shooting ducks this year...My Daughter will learn to wingshoot on the 20 next year...

What's recoil?

;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Brought up on a single-shot Stevens .410 and still have it. I also have an old Iver Johnson Champion in 16 ga. I hunt with both of them, and I like them. Safe, reliable, easy to carry. Singles are fine for deer hunting too.

Hey BB--good story :) I can miss with the best of 'em myself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.