Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleo ran her 9 year old tail off for me today. Actually three hours of walking which feels more like all day anymore, to both of us. We were both a little stiff after the hour drive home.
That ol gun came to life and pointed it's-self when the bird flushed...all I had to do was pull the trigger.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yentzen, I've played around with some of your photos..making them into black and white to 'antique' them, thinking of maybe sending them back out a little different..but ya know what?? I couldn't improve any of them, they look just as classic in color.
Ross

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A5-HUNTER said:
Rer, what year is your humpback?
A5-HUNTER
It's a 1948 with a switched out trigger/safety. ( I had some safety issues with the 'trigger guard' safety.)
I redid the wood on it last winter, with some suggestions from Jeff.
BUT check out that rust blue!! As original as the day that gun was shipped out. I got to tell ya, I hunt that gun all the time as my No.#1 gun and the bluing on it amazes me everytime I pick the gun up.
Ross

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff,
Yes, I did use your suggestion of tung and spar urathane but had some trouble getting them to mix. I was using the commercial 'tung oil' mix which was pointed out later as being 'already mixed with some varnishes or what?..

Also, I couldn't find any of the finer wet sanding papers past ~400 or 600 grit. I never even thought about trying an auto body shop -- -my wife suggested that after I finally finiished my project.
So I ended up using some small pieces of rough canvas to 'roughly' rub down the last three - four coats of tung/urathane while wet, I let dry about 3 days in between..and then used the same mix...again three -four coats as a finish, applied maybe as much as 1/2 teaspoon with my fingers and let dry --that is the final finish. I let that dry for about two weeks and then applied a gun stock wax.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Your right about the tung oil blends...I'm not sure what is in them but they will not work when mixed with urethane varnish.

You can do a pretty good job of final wet sanding with 600, it just takes a little more expertice to get it right, nice and even matte finish and then use the top thinned coat or two to erase all signs of sanding leavng that soft glow. But it sure looks like you figured it out and improvised your own solution. There a lot of ways to skin a cat and that's what makes this fun....working out he way that performs for you.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.