Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleo ran her 9 year old tail off for me today. Actually three hours of walking which feels more like all day anymore, to both of us. We were both a little stiff after the hour drive home.
That ol gun came to life and pointed it's-self when the bird flushed...all I had to do was pull the trigger.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yentzen, I've played around with some of your photos..making them into black and white to 'antique' them, thinking of maybe sending them back out a little different..but ya know what?? I couldn't improve any of them, they look just as classic in color.
Ross

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A5-HUNTER said:
Rer, what year is your humpback?
A5-HUNTER
It's a 1948 with a switched out trigger/safety. ( I had some safety issues with the 'trigger guard' safety.)
I redid the wood on it last winter, with some suggestions from Jeff.
BUT check out that rust blue!! As original as the day that gun was shipped out. I got to tell ya, I hunt that gun all the time as my No.#1 gun and the bluing on it amazes me everytime I pick the gun up.
Ross

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff,
Yes, I did use your suggestion of tung and spar urathane but had some trouble getting them to mix. I was using the commercial 'tung oil' mix which was pointed out later as being 'already mixed with some varnishes or what?..

Also, I couldn't find any of the finer wet sanding papers past ~400 or 600 grit. I never even thought about trying an auto body shop -- -my wife suggested that after I finally finiished my project.
So I ended up using some small pieces of rough canvas to 'roughly' rub down the last three - four coats of tung/urathane while wet, I let dry about 3 days in between..and then used the same mix...again three -four coats as a finish, applied maybe as much as 1/2 teaspoon with my fingers and let dry --that is the final finish. I let that dry for about two weeks and then applied a gun stock wax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.