Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by the shooting range "pro" that #8 shot is too lite for trap and he recommended I shoot 7 or 7 1/2. I'm shooting a 12 ga from the 16 yard line is he correct? I hope not because I have quite a bit of #8.

·
Registered
561 Posts
# 7 1/2 shot may be more popular and/or more dominant but I know plenty who like and use #8. Go for it.
You will definitely "smoke" more clays with #8.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I shoot 8's and tighten up on my choke quite a bit. I like IM for trap if you have one.

I only buy 8's. Works for skeet, trap and SC in almost any situation. Sure some shot might be better in certain spots, but 8 can do it all fairly well as long as I do my part. It's easier not worrying about shot size.

I shot really well with a few boxes of 9's on the skeet field a while back, but I don't know if I was just on that day or if the smaller shot helped. Maybe I should pick up a few more boxes and give them a try.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Depends on the weather and what side of the country you're on! :lol: I think your shooting range "pro" was either yanking your chain, was smoking some wacky tabacky or has absolutely no clue about trap.

8's are pretty common in usage here, although there are people who swear by 7-1/2's. I shoot 1 oz (or 1-1/8 oz), 8's for everything with IM for a choke. Don't really need anything else and I make a lot of ink. YMMV.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
8's are plenty good for trap. Some folks feel the 7-1/2's give an advantage in cold weather and shooting handicap.

My personal opinion is that if you think its better...........it is to you.

Emerson

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is nothing wrong with shooting 8 shot. I have used it quite often and still do. Full choke from the 16 X-full from the 25-27.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I use #8 all the time when I can get them. I have also shot #9 because thats all I had and ran a 24 at the 16yard line. I use #7 1/2 when it windy because I think it my be a little more stable in the wind but thats just me.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Claytime said:
I was told by the shooting range "pro" that #8 shot is too lite for trap and he recommended I shoot 7 or 7 1/2.
If the range "pro" really knew his stuff, he would know that No. 7 shot is not allowed by the ATA ruls, reference Section F, No. 3, quoted below (bolding is mine);

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.

In addition, some ranges limit the shot size to 7 1/2 or smaller due to shot pellet travel distances, likely No. 7, if you can find that size, would not travel much further than 7 1/2 but they have to cut it off somewhere.

Claytime said:
I'm shooting a 12 ga from the 16 yard line is he correct? I hope not because I have quite a bit of #8.
No he is not, I am used to using 7 1/2 for everything but I know a number of people who use 8's quite successfully.

Beware of advice from range "pro's :roll: ", :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I cannot prove this fact with any intelligent answer..........however it has been my experience and through pattern board testing that different guns and chokes react differently to shot size.

I have as my primary tournament gun an Alfermann 34" Single that has beautiful patterns with # 8 hard shot, but is not as impressive with 7-1/2's. Since I bought this gun new in 2002 it has used only #8's in its .039 constricted fixed choke barrel.

I use this for 16's and 27 yard caps. I do not think that it will not break a 27 yard target if it hits them.

PS: Beware of the Club Pros.........

·
Registered
720 Posts
I shoot mostly 9's with more 8's thrown in then 7 1/2's,

My first ever 100, was with 8's, only because I ran out of 9's.

From the 16, 9's are clay crushers, 8's are as good, and 7 1/2's should be as good but I don't shoot them!

I just bought 25lbs of 7 1/2, and 25lbs of 8, I have enough 9's to load for a while, I just wanted to Finish waht I was loading in at an even 100, 625 was allright, but I feel I would have to put that one box back, and it was just as easy to buy more 8's and keep going with what I have loaded, and then make some loads up for Handicap

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree with that quote.

With that said, I broke all the rules last week in my 16 yd trap league and ran 25 with my Sporting Clays Citori loaded with 7/8 oz of # 8's and the temperature here was 17 degrees F.
:shock:

My shooting buddies were teasing me for bringing "the wrong gun" and the 7/8 oz loads, NOT ANY MORE :lol:

So as the quote says above, if you think you need 3.5 drams and 1 1/8oz of 7.5's, in cold weather, you do!!!! I apparently, don't!!!! (well at least until next time and I get a lot of misses :D )

Happy shooting....................Levi

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Emerson said:
Reminded me of something.

I ran my 1st 50 x 50 on 16 yd. trap in the early 1970's.

It was a club with both trap and skeet.

I planned to make tha afternoon of it and brought some 7 1/2 trap reloads and some junky old hulls on their last legs, loaded with 9's to shoot in a pump on skeet and eject the empties.

I finished the second trap with a nice 25, using my SKB 600 Trap.

After, I realized, I had mixed up the shells and ran the 50 x 50 on trap with the "nasty" old shells, loaded with 9's :oops:

Had I known what I was really using, the results would likely have been different :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The only shots I'd want #7.5 shot for are these three:

1) The second shot in Olympic Trap.
2) Some of the really far shots in Sporting Clays.
3) Maybe 27yard handicap American Trap.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My coach and I went back to the 27 yard line with 9 shot and he shot a 49/50 and I shot a 46/50. If you are on the clay the clay will break. 8s work fine for everything, that being said I love 7 1/2 I don't shoot anything but except for the 9 shot experiment, and when the other shells were free

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Eights will break them from the 27 yard line, when they are just 3 feet from hitting the ground, at the end of their flight.

That said, 7 1/2s or larger, will do better at that range.

Clyde

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like 8's from the 16 yard line. My 870TB is a quite tight full choke and I get better patterns with the little 8's.

However, handicap or in the dead of winter I like 7-1/2's better. They have more energy when striking those cold, hard clays or from further downrange.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Those who argue the merits of 8's vs. 7.5's should measure the size of the shot in their shells.
They'll find that there are just about as many 8's in a shell marked 7.5 as there are 7.5's, and visa versa...
I've measured a lot of shot, both bulk and in factory shells and was amazed at the variation in marked shot sizes.

I opened a AA shell, marked #8, several years ago and found about half the shot could actually be called "8". The rest ranged from #5 to #11! :shock:
I know, I couldn't believe it either, but it was true. The shot from an STS was almost as bad (#6 - #10)and the shot from a bag of bulk shot (marked #8) was no better. :(

Draw your own conclusions about the importance of the shot size in your shells....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts