Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how big to make a dog box inside my barn for a male Brittany. Any advice would be appreciated on how big to make it. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I make mine almost tall enough for the dog to sit up in (the dog can stand inside without hitting its head on the ceiling but usually not sit fully erect), deep enough for it fully lay down in, and wide enough for the dog to easily turn around. Most people make the house much too large which can be a problem for the dog to keep warm when the outside temperatures become cold. I can't give you any concrete dimensional numbers as "male Brittany" comes in a rather large size range. If really pressed for a size, I would probably say something in the range of a medium travel crate would be a starting point with a large crate at the top end.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Brittanys are in wire crates indoors. The crates are 36" long x 24" wide x 26" high. When traveling and hunting I use Intermediate size plastic kennels that are approx. 28" long x 18" wide x 21" high (inside deminsions). I wouldn't go any larger than the size of the crate or any smaller than the plastic kennels. So something in between them should be just fine. Adjust according to the size of the dog. and like uglydog said, if warmth is a factor stay of the smaller side to retain heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It depends on the dog size. With my Wirehaired pointing Griffons I built my boxes 3' wide x 4' long. I make mine tall enough for them to sit or stand in. This gives enough room for the dog to stand, turn around, eat, etc... But does not give too much room. These are the same dimensions that may other breeders I know use for Labs and Golden Retrievers. My box has a lift up panel on the top so I can check on the dog and food/water, with the door on the side with a latch. Both my dogs and I have been very happy with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.