Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a raffle ticket on a brand new SKB SxS 28 ga. at the local gun club. It's a really nice looking gun and feels really good in my hands. I see no problems with fit and finish and the wood is pretty nice as well. It is made in Turkey. Who actually makes this for SKB? With all the hullabaloo about Turkish guns this one seems to be of fine quality.

R.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
The maker is AKUS of Turkey. They are the best of the Turkish gun makers and built the S&W Elite Gold guns and currently make the Dickinson SXS's. It should weigh in at about 5 1/2 pounds and be a delightful field gun.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Yes, they are trigger plate actions. AKUS also makes sidelock guns and trigger plates with side plates, but to my knowledge no one imports the sidelock. The trigger plate actions are generally very good, however occasionally you run into heavy triggers in the 10 pound range. Not many smiths will work on those; when I went through the late Jack Rowe's double gun gunsmithing course he specifically mentioned those triggers as something he would not work on. Kieth Kearcher a gunsmith in Bend, Oregon has successfully reworked many of the AKUS trigger plate triggers, but his FFL is listed as expired in 2015 and he may be retired. Kody Kearcher, who is probably his son is gunsmithing in Bend, Oregon and could likely provide the same services.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info although it is a bit scary. Some years ago i bought a new Turkish-made SxS because it was within my limited resources. When it arrived, and after all the FFL inspection and hassle, I got it home and commenced to fondle it. The triggers seemed awfully hard to pull, so I fooled around and finally hung the gun by the triggers. Nothing happened! The trigger pull was more than the gun weighed. That was it for me. I never shot it and sold it at a loss a short time later.

I've had good luck with Japanese SKB's, so seeing this really nice brand new one was very tempting and I commenced to count my pennies with an eye to a 20ga. Unfortunately I cannot afford the risk of paying for a trigger job nobody wants to do. End of story.

R.

·
Registered
165 Posts
SKB offers very good service for the Turkish made guns they import. I have found them to be very responsive to warranty / service needs. I currently own three of the Turkish made guns (90TSS in 20ga, 90TSS in 12ga and the 200HR in 20 ga). The O/U's and SxS's are made by different companies, but SKB in Omaha supports them all. I would not hesitate to buy another SKB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.