Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an SKB 500 "trap" on Gunbroker. That's the way it was described on the site. Just got it yesterday. The gun has 30" barrels, two beads and is choked F/IM. But it doesn't say Trap anywhere on the gun.

Question - Did SKB make a 500 Trap ???

Thanks for your replies.

Tony G.
tonygrz

·
Registered
599 Posts
I guess what would be the determining factor would be the stock. The length of the barrels are right, as is the choke combination.

Is it a field stock or is it straighter OR is it Monte Carlo?

Copterdrvr

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got to shoot my new/used SKB 500 "Trap" today. I was rather disappointed in the gun. Eventhough the gun does not says "trap" anywhere on the gun, I was told it was a trap gun when I bought it over the internet on Gunbroker.com. As I stated before, it was a vent rib, 30" barrel with end and mid rib sites. It does not have an auto safety and the stock is straight on top. I measured my Remington 870TB stock and compared it to the SKB - almost the same. So the stock is at least like a trap stock.

Then I went out to the trap field. I usually carry an 84 avg at the 16 yd line with my Rem 870TB. But when I tried the SKB, my scores went south with the ducks !!! The best I could do with three rounds was a 16 on one round. The person who I was shooting with tried my gun and he said it seemed to be shooting very flat. But here's the kicker - I see the same rib site - beads exactly apart on both ribs - but couldn't hit anything. I tried three different brands of ammo, no help.

Finally, the guy I was shooting with said I should open the chokes from F/IM to SKT/SKT and start shooting skeet and keep my 870 for trap.

If the shotgun is shooting low (most hits were the skirts being blown off) the guy recommended installing a higher rib, an adjustable comb or both.

After all this, my two questions. Will an adjustable comb and a higher rib raise the POA ?? Do you think it's worth the money to do the modifications ??

Your imputs are very appreciated.

tonygrz

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
First try building up the comb with some moleskin or even cardboard taped on and try it. Experiment with different heights, and then you will know. Just a higher rib won't make any difference, unless it is set at a different angle to the bore line than the old one.

Clyde

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the 500's are a field gun,the 585 series has a trap/skeet version.
I think you have a feild gun that can also be used as a 'trap' gun.
My SKB 1900 is a field gun but I can grind them up nicely with it,just a little more lead required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts