Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy has a SKB 505 that is giving us a little trouble. It can be set to shoot the upper barrel and it will work just fine but if we set it for the bottom barrel the bottom barrel fires just fine but the top barrel will not. We are both experienced shooters but are new to O/Us and don't really understand inertia triggers. This sounds like something is probably just gummed up, is that a reasonable assumption? Is pulling the trigger group as simple as removing the visible screw and pulling it out of the action? The gun was bought used and we do not have a book. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark M

·
Premium Member
19,856 Posts
Mark,

I would not advise removing the large screw on the bottom of the receiver. Instead, take the buttstock off by removing the recoil pad and then remove the stock bolt that is recessed in the buttstock. This will expose the lockworks (hammers, springs, inertia block, etc). Spray the lockworks down thoroughly with a good cleaner/degreaser. Allow the metal parts to dry completely. Then lubricate lightly but thoroughly with a lightweight gun oil. Wipe off any excess oil since you don't want it soaking into the wood stock. Reattach stock and see if that cured the problem. If not, contact SKB and send it to one of their authorized service centers for adjustment. They might do it for free :lol: if you catch them in a good mood that day. Assure them that you haven't abused the gun in any way. Even if the repair isn't free, it shouldn't cost much, IMO. Sounds like a very minor adjustment for a knowledgeable gunsmith. Good luck.

G

·
Thanks, Ulysses, I an such a newbie to nice shotguns I didn't think about getting to the action from the back. That is a perfect idea. We have contacted SKB and they said it might be an adjustment and could easily deal with it, my buddy just would rather not be without his gun while there is still good shooting weather! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts