Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I can't tell you much about the latest ones because not many are imported here.

The few new ones I have seen in the past few years have been impressive IMHO.

Back in the 70's, I had an SKB 600 Trap, it was an excellent gun. I sold it because;

1.) I shoot a lot and there was no dealer support for them here in the early 80's.

2.) The pistol grip did not fit my hand as well as the typical 870 trap gun's does.

If the SKB's had dealer support here, I would be looking at them myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 685 is a nice gun. I have an earlier model and I really like it. SKB is a quality company, been around for a long time. They have a web page and provide support services through that, but I'm sure any 'smith would be happy to work on it if necessary (but probably wouldn't be). Do a search here for SKB--a couple of weeks ago someone went through a long post describing the decision and purchase, lots of dealings with SKB, all positive.

You can pay more for a clays gun, but if you do, you're out in the tail of diminishing returns (more money doesn't equal more performance).

Good Luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've got a newish Model 385 sxs 12 gauge with 26 inch barrels. I wish that I had bought it with 28 inch barrels as the muzzle blast seems more noticeable than the blast from the 28 inch barrels.

The gun is nice. Works good, and looks good.

But I don't like the shinny, neo-plastic stock finish. Brownings have a similar finish. I don't like those finishes either.

I'd much rather have an oil finish. Like the ones on Rugers.

When I was on active duty (YEARS ago) we used to trap shoot. Since we didn't have much else to do we shot a lot of trap. Winchester 101's broke first. But I must restate, we shot AT LOT of trap. Like 500 shots a week, or more for year.

There was a very popular SKB O/U gun that we used, and it held up better, in general; than did the Winchester.

Miruko's were fine too.

So except for the stock finish, I like SKB guns. I just wish that I had bought the longer barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts