1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood Blade Automotive exterior Nickel Tool
SKB CROWN MATCH TRAP 30" FIXED CHOKES FULL/FULL

MADE 1969--1975 I GUESS ?
WAS BOUGHT IN JAPAN AND BROUGHT BACK TO USA . NO MARKINGS ON GUN EXCEPT FOR THE ONE BUY SERIAL #

GUN IS LIKE NEW REALLY .......SHOT VERY LITTLE....HIGHLY ENGRAVED RECEIVER NOT SURE IF IT WAS HANG ENGRAVED OR MACHINE

BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY WAY.....GREENER CROSS BOLT LOCK. NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS ? WILL POST SOME PICTURES THANKS JOHN
Brown Textile Wood Font Pattern
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Natural material String instrument
Wood Tool Knife Everyday carry Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
It's a Model 880 Crown Grade worth $1825 @ 98% condition. $1625 @95% condition. They were discontinued in 1980. The above is book value. The model # is clearly marked on the bottom of the receiver right under SKB in the second photo. Check to see if that stock is original.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know how the engraving was done ? By machine or hand engraved. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I'm a little confused. The receiver in the picture says 880. But I don't see false side plates. The receiver looks more like a Model 5800. And the stock doesn't look like that on a Crown Grade 880.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little confused. The receiver in the picture says 880. But I don't see false side plates. The receiver looks more like a Model 5800. And the stock doesn't look like that on a Crown Grade 880.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm confused a little , Do you mean the CM 80880 Means Built in 1980 and Model is 880 . Not the serial # ?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
I don't know what model it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not a model 880. The 880 has side plates. I believe the serial number on the bottom of the gun just happens to coincide with an SKB model number.

If it was bought in Japan and brought back to the US it may be difficult to identify as there were models sold in Japan that were never imported into the US and SKB Japan is out of business.

Years ago I purchased the CM trap gun below from someone in the Air Force who purchased it in Japan and shipped it back with him. I don't remember the model but it was not a model that was sold in the US.

Wood Material property Hardwood Wood stain Everyday carry

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The serial number should be under the lever or on the tang. Also on the barrel. Does it say imported by Ithaca on the barrel?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
That’s not the serial number.
I believe you are mistaken. That is the SN and it is also engraved on the tang behind the trigger guard. If you zoom in on the 2nd to last photo you will see 80880 engraved on the tang. My SKB of similar vintage had nothing under the locking lever and neither does the SKB SXS currently in my safe. It appears only the newer SKBs have the SN under the locking lever.

Edited to add. In the exact location where his receiver shows CM 80880, my receiver, pictured above says, CM67926. It is a serial number with no connection to a model number. The gun pictured is not an SKB 880. Below is an SKB 880. His SN just happens to include a number that coincides with another model of SKB O/U.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe you are mistaken. That is the SN and it is also engraved on the tang behind the trigger guard. If you zoom in on the 2nd to last photo you will see 80880 engraved on the tang. My SKB of similar vintage had nothing under the locking lever and neither does the SKB SXS currently in my safe. It appears only the newer SKBs have the SN under the locking lever.

Edited to add. In the exact location where his receiver shows CM 80880, my receiver, pictured above says, CM67926. It is a serial number with no connection to a model number. The gun pictured is not an SKB 880. Below is an SKB 880. His SN just happens to include a number that coincides with another model of SKB O/U.

Nice gun and thank for your reply . I appreciate all opinions and at this point, I like hearing back from other's and looking at there guns. Hope to hear more from other's that have more knowledge of SKB than me. Keep it coming and thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
448 Posts
In one of the late Don Zutz's books there is a photo of Don holding what I thought was an SKB 885 shotgun. Always wanted one after that; beautiful gun! Is there a difference between an 880 model and an 885? If so, what is it? TIA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In one of the late Don Zutz's books there is a photo of Don holding what I thought was an SKB 885 shotgun. Always wanted one after that; beautiful gun! Is there a difference between an 880 model and an 885? If so, what is it? TIA.
Hi, I'm new in the SKB world , Bought this gun above and not sure of it's model . But I think the 880 was made and sold by Ithaca/SKB o/u were the 885 is SKB . John

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi, I'm new in the SKB world , Bought this gun above and not sure of it's model . But I think the 880 was made and sold by Ithaca/SKB o/u were the 885 is SKB . John
Thanks for that info John. I shoot a more recent 85TSS model with a release trigger. Not so pretty but still a target crunching monster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi , Looking at some of the old post I took the forearm off . no markings on barrel except full on barrel latch and serial # on forearm plate . It also has chromed barrels . I'm thinking fixed Full/Full 30" barrels and chromed , this should put it around 1969 . John

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Not sure why you believe a 30 inch full and full puts it around 1969. Mine was fixed full and full and manufactured in the mid 80s.

It's unlikely you will be able to positively identify the model number of your gun. The engraving is different than any SKB or Ithica/SKB imported into the US. You said it was bought in Japan and brought back into the US so it's probably a model that was sold by SKB only in Japan or other overseas markets. SKB Japan no longer exists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure why you believe a 30 inch full and full puts it around 1969. Mine was fixed full and full and manufactured in the mid 80s.

It's unlikely you will be able to positively identify the model number of your gun. The engraving is different than any SKB or Ithica/SKB imported into the US. You said it was bought in Japan and brought back into the US so it's probably a model that was sold by SKB only in Japan or other overseas markets. SKB Japan no longer exists.
Hi, Thanks for your response on this, Just looking at posts of others on there skb shotguns . Like , { Going through the Ithaca catalogues, I'm seeing that the early '69-'72 700's have hard chrome lined barrels & after that there was no mention of HC Barrels!
Also, the 1st '69 700 Trap models were choked Fixed F/F, with 30" barrels . I believe this puts this right in that spot. Calling SKB, they only could confirm that the CM prefix meant - Crown Model. OTT, no other records remain... } Just trying to ID the gun . I guess you are right when you say, records are gone and will never be able to ID . It is also interesting that you have never seen a SKB with that type of engraving . Could you tell me any more about the engraving and how it is different from other SKB's . Thanks John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts