Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Model 500 Scrolling but it has a silver receiver (not blued) 30" barrels, no cracks in stock or forearm set up with a Morgan recoil pad and mid and end barrel sights. Should I buy it? Is it too old? The guy says it lock up tight but I won't be able to inspect before purchase. Is it likely shot out? How much would you pay for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. Should I be worried about buying an SKB O/U from this period - what is the durability like on these guns

The serial number begins with CM6XXXX I am told that is from the 70s can anyone give a view as to whether that is close?

Is $550 too much to pay - it is pretty clean and I am told it locks up tight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most likely a model 600. I owned one for a lot of years and loved it. I was coned into selling it to a friend who still shoots it and probably will never part with it. The price is right if it's a 600.

The dealer says it locks up tight, so why would you not be able to inspect it before you buy it?? Is this a local dealer or internet sale? I would ask for a 3 day return inspection period. Most reputable dealers offer that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's a great price for a 600-especially if it's nice and tight. I have one from the 60's that's had untold thousands of rounds through it and it is still an awesome gun.

Go for it-they are great guns!

Copterdrvr

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I owned three Ithaca/SKBs in the seventies. The 600 I had was a blued receiver, and the 700 was a silvered receiver. I'm wondering if the one you are looking at is a 700.

If this is an internet sale from a private individual, be sure he sends you an FFL with the gun so that you can return it if not satisfied. That won't assure you of a refund, but without one you cannot return it to an individual.

I wish I had those guns back.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
GunOwner13 said:
It looks like Model 500 Scrolling but it has a silver receiver (not blued) 30" barrels, no cracks in stock or forearm set up with a Morgan recoil pad and mid and end barrel sights. Should I buy it? Is it too old? The guy says it lock up tight but I won't be able to inspect before purchase. Is it likely shot out? How much would you pay for it?
I would not buy anything I couldn't inspect before purchase.

An old gun can be neglected, but I don't see how a smoothbore can become "shot out".

My father still uses an Ithaca/SKB M700 trap O/U that he bought new in the late '60s. It has well over 100,000 rounds through it and locks up tight.

Metal parts are still available from SKB's current US distributor, Guns Unlimited out of Nebraska.

I own an 80s vintage SKB M600 O/u and am very pleased with the gun. To me, the SKB O/U is an under-appreciated "sleeper".

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've purchased 5 shotguns without inspecting and have had no problems. If it's an internet deal, get pictures. Like said above most dealers will give a 3 day return period.

SKB is every bit as reliable as any other Japanese made gun such as Browning, Winchester or Nikko.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts