Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The traditional (in other words, old) definition of Skeet 2 is a constriction that was between IC and Modified - about what we would call Light Mod nowadays. But the term "Skeet 2" is not used much any more, so a few choke tube makers (Seminole is the only one I am aware of) have used the term in reference to a new choke that is between Skeet and IC.

Why anyone would want a choke between Skeet and IC is beyond me. I guess Seminole just wanted to make more different kinds of tubes with the certain knowledge that some people will buy anything ("make it, and they will buy it"), and they needed a name for it, so they picked up the old name that had fallen into disuse.

Back in the days of soft shot, overshot wads, and no plastic shot cups, chokes didn't pattern as tightly as they do now. Skeet shooters often used a tighter choke for the going-away targets, and the combination of a more open choke and a tighter one was called "Skeet I and Skeet II" or "Skeet In and Skeet Out". Skeet II was a lot tighter than Skeet I - it was around 0.012-.015, or close to the modern LM (.015).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
seamius,

a lot of skeet shooter want a hair tighter choke for their second shot on shootoff doubles, esp if you shoot the second shot late. a tighter pattern, harder hits, puts fear into your competitors. A kinda can't miss atitude,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts