Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a skeet shooter looking to upgrade to a new o/u. I have looked at the browning xs skeet. But I also like the feel of the browning 525 sporting. Is there any reason not to use a sporting gun for skeet? Are the rib heights the primary difference? I am also considering the beretta 682 e, but that is a lot more money. Any help you can gice would be great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you shoot "gun up"? That is, do you start with your gun already mounted? If so then the skeet version of the 525 with its higher rib may be best for you. If, however, you hunt a lot and start gun down then the sporting's lower rib may work better. I can shoot either, but for me the gun down start is more natural and seems to help with recoil, so I prefer the lower rib on this particular gun. Of course, the adjustable stock on the skeet model is a big plus if the fit is a major concern to you.
Too, you might look at the field version for a lesser cost. If you like the Berettas look at the 686 and some 687 models vs the 682. They generally run around a grand less.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Browning XS versus the Browing 525 it may just be the difference between a Lincoln a Ford and a Mercury ? (I don't mean to compare a Focus to a Town Car btw)

Until you get something like a different rib or a different stock the actual mechanism is still pretty much the same. I would say that the gun that fits you best is the better gun, if that is the sporting gun, go for it.

I shoot only one gun for Trap, Skeet and Sporting. Sporting is my main sport nowadays. As I have enough silver from the first two, I shoot a Sporting Gun.

Using one gun (one load and one set of chokes too by and large) takes out many of the variables. I know where this gun prints its pattern, so that leaves only the nut behind the gun to blame.

Being comfortable with the gun and confident in its performance is more important than the label on the side, in my opinion. I learned this the hard way in a shoot off where the other guy had a beat up old gun and I had the entire Browning set up - hat, vest, 32 inch barrels, Invector Plus chokes the whole works and he whupped me ! :oops:

He had been shooting the same gun for 30 YEARS !

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please consider the Beretta. I know the Browning's are very popular, but the Beretta is far superior in many ways. This could start a lot of discussion, but I have owned 3 Browning o/u's, and 5 Beretta's. The citori's (425, 525, etc.) have what I consider many faults. Most of them shoot high, like a trap gun. this may be ok for trap, but a disadvantage at skeet or in the field, and definitly bad for sporting clays, where you shoot at a lot of falling birds. Many Brownings seem plagued with trigger problems. the shooter says they didn't let go of the trigger, but it is always with a Browning. My Lightning did it to me twice, and I sold it. The Beretta 686's never do it! Look at the locking wedge on the Browning. it moves in and out, just like the coal stoker on an old coal furnace, and pushes any unburned powder and dirt back into the trigger mechanism. The Beretta has a sealed action, and stays clean for thousands of shots. I decided to clean my 686 that I had bought new, before I went out of state for a pheasant hunt. I had put over 5000 shots through it. and when I removed the stock. there wasn't a speck of dirt, or powder in it. It looked like the day it left the factory. I could go on and on about the locking system, the finish wear, the locking tang that doesn't center, etc. Get the point! But the Beretta, and save all that grief

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.