Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a right to be upset about this, but maybe I'm missing something. I frequent a skeet range which gets tourist traffic on the weekends, some of which "try" skeet from station 7. We had a four man squad about halfway through a round when we were stopped by the course manager who gathered a group of about 12 people directly next to the skeet range for an orientation, 3 of which subsequently went directly to station 7. Our squad got bumped!! Now the guys in the squad go to this range virtually every weekend and shoot at least 100 rounds per visit. I strongly suspect that few if any of the tourists ever return after their flirtation with shooting sports. It seems to me that the course "manager" violated course and business practices on at least a couple of levels. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Look no further than your local golf course for these kind of management practices.

Sometimes a gentle reminder via the miracle of the internet (email) about who keeps the lights on at the place will do the trick.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I'm not as polite as you are! I've been known to use some uncomplimentary terminology in situations like that! Borderline vulgar in fact! I bet I'd have brought my feelings to the attention of the guy responsible for getting bumped! I'd be curtious at first, but I can rapidly accelerate to "not so polite" when I'm ignored! I believe a little consideration and curtiousy from all three parties involved would be in order. How long can it take for a few fellas to finish thier round of skeet before some "well meaning" range exec. can give the grand tour to a few alieans on a tour?? It is nice to extend curtiousy to a few strangers, but, we're shooting Skeet right now. Maybe they should have had a seat over by the gun rack and watched how Skeet is really shot for a few minutes?

That'd really chap my cheeks too!!

Is this the only Skeet range arround?? If not, I'd be doing some visiting arround!

BP

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for affirming my feelings, fellas. I thought maybe there was some unwritten code of which I was not aware. Unfortunately, this skeet range is the only reasonably close one to me, and its an hour away! But you know what? There's an extremely nice sporting clays/5 stand range about the same distance, different direction. Although I love skeet, I simply can't allow myself to be treated so miserably. I'm taking my business elsewhere. Hey, there are worse things than "settling" for sporting and 5 stand, no? And I guess I can even use the 410 on the 5 stand.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would have put my shotgun in the car and walked back to where you sign up and requested a full refund for the round not completed and if I had any other tickets I would have turned them in for a refund also. Any further action would have depended on how they handled these requests.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
If you've never shot 5 stand before, you have a treat coming. Don't expect to do as well as you are used to doing at skeet right away either! Yes, a .410 "usually" is enough gun for 5 stand. Depends on how the course is set up! I like the small guages in 5 stand!

BP

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BP
Shot 5 stand for the first time a couple of weeks ago. A very humbling experience (17/25 with the 12 ga.). But what fun!! Our squad seemed to be doing a lot of laughing. It seems to require more memory (or smarts) than I am capable of providing. Like I said, looks like I'll be shooting a lot more of it!

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Bill;

Exactly!!

I've given serious thought to buying/building my own 5 stand, or maybe just a 3 stand setup just for my own G & G! I know exactly what you mean by not having enough smarts/memory for this. OK! I'm getting a, ah, ah, ah, yup a 1 and a 5 right? What is the 5 again? The danged rabbit!! Crap!! I HATE rabbits!

BP

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BP,
What really threw me was getting the combo called out, but needing to realize (remember which trap did which flight pattern) that in certain cases you need to take the second one first or else it will be on the ground. I took a lot of ribbing over that screw-up (which I did more than once, I'm ashamed to say)!!!

G

·
Very poor business on the part of the Range manager...your best business is repeat customers, need to keep them happy...if they're happy, they will bring in more business.

We too get a lot of "tourist trade" where I shoot. The club owner always asks the regulars to "host" these new shooters. We stick 2 newbies in with 3 experienced shooters, they always shoot tailgunner slots. They get to watch what they are supposed to do, get it explained how to do it, then do it. You know what? It works well! New shooters get the experience and help they need. and us "old hands" get to meet new people and have some fun cheering them on. I've met Dutch, German, English "shooters" and some folks I didn't even understand (pictures and hand signs come in real handy).

We shooters need to take every chanch we get to promote the sport. Range owners need to take every opportunity to make a profit and promote the sport and keep us regulars happy. Maybe if you both work at it, you'll both be better off. But don't quit your range untill you talk to the manager.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
How do you bump four skilled shooters each holding a shotgun and a sack full of shells? That course manager has got some set of cajones!

I would be livid if that happened to me. Where I shoot we pay for the round before we shoot. You'll have a hard time (actually you'll never succeed) convincing me that I need to stop shooting mid-round so that someone else can give it a try.

If they want to bump me at the start of the round and give me a rain-check, I'll grudgingly accept. But not mid-round. In fact, don't even try to have this discussion mid-round. I need to focus and concentrate when I shoot skeet or else I shoot poorly.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the range had setup an appointment for these people at that specific time (as if the skeet field were reserved). In that case, the mistake was that they did not tell you this prior to your round. Either way you slice it, it's mismanagement.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I think it's good to let new shooters try skeet but when the managment cuts you out half way through a round then the managment needs to be fired!! At my skeet range we are having trouble with finding people to join. :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.