Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some what off topic. I was shooting a round of skeet last Saturday with my shooting buddy. We were at station 5, he was shooting and I was to the left and behind him pushing the buttons. He fired and hit the high house target at about mid field. Simultaneously I felt a sharp stinging on my neck! There was a little abrasion under my chin and a small wound on my neck. A little blood but nothing to stop the activity. Today I was fingering the 'wound' and out came a lead pellet. Flat on one side. There was nothing but target in front of the shooter. No one else around. The pellet must have bounced off the target and came back to hit me. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?? All this as I was cradling my 5E sheet gun. I am glad the pellet didn't hit the gun--I will heal a lot better then the gun would. Anybody ever question the necessity of shooting glasses??

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
If you shoot skeet long enough, you will get hit with both lead pellets and clay shards. Glasses are an absolute necessity and I put a hat in almost the same category. A scalp cut will bleed like there's no tomorrow.

One scenario, which I believe to be true, is that a lead pellet can go in the under side of the clay target, circle around the inside of the rim and fly back out in a far different direction.

Don't worry too much about your gun; it will get hit eventually. Flat 100% guarantee!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow. Glad you are OK. I have been hit by shards of clay birds. I agree, good glasses and a hat are a must. Sometimes I wear gloves.

Man, this makes me want to get out to the range.....been such a long winter up here.

·
Banned
579 Posts
My goodness Walt! I have been hit by pieces of targets many times - especially on the stations near the houses, but never by a BB out in the middle! I'm very glad you were not hurt more seriously, and that your gorgeous 5E was not dinged!
Good safety reminder to us all!

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
We might review the information on the skeet subforum about the deficiencies of the standard Decot lenses. There are shooting glasses and then there are shooting glasses.

·
Registered
415 Posts
everyone should be wearing glasses at a range.
however throwing on any pair of glasses could actually cause more damage to an eye.
if your not into dropping a large amount of money on expensive shooting glasses ,any pair of Z87 rated safety will save your vision.
same could be said while hunting,,

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Some safety glasses will distort your vision. I have a good pair that our optometrist ordered for me. I can wear them when shooting my BPCR rifles because I am adjusting the sights to what I see.

HOWEVER

towards the middle of last December, I started wearing them hunting instead of the wrap around pair of 3M safety glasses I have as they fit better. I started killing every tree in the woods, while the squirrels ran off.

by chance I was looking at a knot on a tree and lifted my glasses up and the knot moved 8" at less than 50 feet. the glasses were shifting what I was seeing, much as water will shift location of fish etc due to the prism effect.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
drcook said:
Some safety glasses will distort your vision. I have a good pair that our optometrist ordered for me. I can wear them when shooting my BPCR rifles because I am adjusting the sights to what I see.

HOWEVER

towards the middle of last December, I started wearing them hunting instead of the wrap around pair of 3M safety glasses I have as they fit better. I started killing every tree in the woods, while the squirrels ran off.

by chance I was looking at a knot on a tree and lifted my glasses up and the knot moved 8" at less than 50 feet. the glasses were shifting what I was seeing, much as water will shift location of fish etc due to the prism effect.
As long as you're not looking at part of the sight picture without the lenses and the other part WITH the lenses, I don't think that would happen. Generally, when a person puts on a pair of corrective lenses and shoots a shotgun, the entire field of view through the lenses will be affected about the same (although the edges may be somewhat distorted).

So, if you're looking down the barrel/rib of your gun and looking at the squirrel in the tree, it shouldn't matter at all that the glasses tend to shift the location of the image because everything is shifted in the same relative amount.

Stated another way, if the rear sight (your eyeball), the front sight, and the squirrel are all in correct alignment with glasses, they'll also be in correct alignment without glasses....... and vice versa.

Sorry, but you're going to have to blame your poor shooting on something else. Perhaps the gun doesn't shoot to POA.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry but you need to learn about things before you make a comment.

As soon as I took the glass off I hit every one. It wasn't until I put the glasses on that I couldn't hit.

I take it you don't understand the prism effect and how you have to aim in another place to shoot fish underwater ?

here is some information concerning refraction and aiming points to compensate for such. I believe their eyes are in alignment with the arrow and bow and fish, but they have to shoot low in order to hit the place where the fish actually is

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outd ... shing2.htm

Everything is shifted, except for where the squirrel really is. That doesn't shift.

I had a scope shift point of aim 4 foot. Proved it by wedging the gun in a tree fork and watching how the field of view and cross hairs acted.

I suggest you do some research on parallax. Scope manufacturers spend lots of money to get their scopes to be parallax free at x amount of yardage.

With our bare eyes, we have learned via our wonderful brain to compensate for the optical shift through the atmosphere. When we are tricked via glasses or trying to shoot fish under water, we have to learn another way to compensate.

Maybe Googling some info up would be appropriate. Eh ?

Have you ever shot at 1000 yards with Iron sights ? I have. I understand enough about the whole process to understand that we are tweaking the sight adjustments to compensate for the atmospheric distortion of where the target physically is versus where we see it to be.

On a hot day you can actually see the mirage lines through the spotting scopes.

now what I have found out doing further research is that they are not optically centered. they are good enough for doing machine work (that is what they actually are, a good pair of factory safety glasses) but they are not precise enough for shooting.

buried in the text of this page

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwo ... urvey.html

is a survey on the use of iron sights. in the discussions are how many clicks of sight correction are needed as the sun changes position.

So to put it bluntly, regardless of how much in alignment you are with the shotgun components, if the target you are shooting at appears to be 8 or more inches higher than where it looks to be at with the naked eye, you are going to over shoot the target because simply being in line with the gun and the image of what you are seeing doesn't correct the optical displacement that you can achieve by moving the components of adjustable sights to compensate.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
DR,

It appears that I hit a nerve. :lol: Sorry about that old chap. Yes, I do understand refraction. Light waves are bent when going from one medium to another (like air to water). Maybe you just had some faulty safety glasses.

Whatever the reason for your problem, it certainly doesn't match my experience with using safety glasses or corrective lenses. My eyes require a very mild prescription for best vision, but I can shoot either with or without corrective lenses and I have done both quite often.

As I said, yes, it's true that an object appears to move when you shift from looking through no glasses (or non-prescription glasses) to looking through a corrective lense, but as long as the shooter sees the entire subject (barrel, front sight, target, etc) through the same medium, then everything shifts proportionately. If it didn't, shooters who require strong corrective lenses would never be able to hit anything.

For example, I can look at my neighbor's flower pot in his yard about 25 to 30 yards away with my mild corrective lenses and by removing the glasses from in front of my eyes, it appears that the pot moves about 4 feet vertically. Yet I guarantee that I would have no trouble whatsoever hitting that pot with a shotgun whether I used my corrective lenses or not. As long as I didn't try to do the shooting by looking at part of the picture through the lenses and part of the picture without the lenses, there would be no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
yes you did, it came across as you were doubting what I said about that particular pair of glasses.

the issue doesn't happen with my other pair of cheapo safety glasses, the 3M pair ($15.00 at Lowes), just that set, the expensive ones with replaceable lenses and actual metal frames ($70.00 from the eye doctor, real glasses). I bought them specifically for shooting and discovered they are not good to wear hunting.

I still stand by my statement that safety glasses can have a prism effect and people should check them out. I am going to talk to the optician about these and see what can be done about the issue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
we are talking about shotguns here.
the prism effect will be minimal to none at 20-30 yds while trap shooting or shooting birds while hunting.
glasses will not stop a bullet ,they will however stop a piece of shot or metal fragments from entering the eye.
while I've never been peppered , I have had lead rain fall around me while hunting.
that enough incentive for me to always have safety glasses on when I think there may be scatter guns used around me.

your eyes are pretty important when it comes to aiming a gun ,I have little sympathy for those who choose not to use them

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the knot on the tree that I was looking at shifted 8" at less than 50 feet.

what started off as a comment that some glasses could cause an optical problem has turned once again into a pissing match.

and once again a few of you have proved that you know everything about everything

maybe it is time for me to leave like a few of my friends, board members have lately.

have you all noticed fewer and fewer people are posting lately ?

adios

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Part of my prescription (I forget the term) is a reference to how much an image is shifted or rotated. My old lenses didn't have it, my new ones do. the effect increases with distance. If you shift your glasses or look over the edge and see two of something and they don't line up exactly this may be the case. In my case a surgery to correct cross-eye condition when I was a child has been going the other way now.

Back to the game---

glad you are OK man, that's just a little freaky. Don't tell OSHA or the insurance companies or we'll be wearing all kinds of safety gear.

Ahh, for those good old days when it was your fault when you fell down: not the contractor who made the steps, the lumber yard that sold the wood, the painter for using the wrong color and not weighing the grit in the paint and the weather man for not sending you a personalized text that it was raining and only 32deg. outside and you shouldn't wear smooth soled shoes.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I know of a skeet referee who was pulling a round of skeet during a shoot who was blinded in his shooting eye by a ricocheting pellet. He was wearing shooting glasses, but this was at least 30 years ago, and the standards have changed relative to eyeglass strength.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A skeet shooting incident I remember well from many years ago happened when the squad was facing low house 8. A shooter called for a bird but the puller hit the high house button in error and the bird that came out was broken and it banked over and hit me right upside of my left ear. Not much blood but lots of smarting! I didn't see it of course and some witnesses told me what happened.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.