Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new here but I wanted to know what everyone's preference for skeet shooting is, pre-mounted or low gun. I prefer low gun as is improves my reaction times and mounting for the field. Just curious to see how everyone else shoots.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ruger12,

I also shoot low gun at skeet. I know dyed in the wool skeet shooters all shoot premount, but I don't shoot any registered skeet so for me it is just practice for hunting and for the fun of shooting. Shooting low gun does make you a better wing shooter.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
When I first started shooting skeet, shooting low gun was on the way out, and more folks were starting to shoot with the gun mounted. Over/unders were also starting to replace sxs and pumps, but that's another story.

I shoot a mounted o/u for league and registered shoots. As soon as league is over (last night, as a matter of fact), I put away the o/u, bring out the 20 ga. pump and start shooting low gun. It does great things for your gun mount consistency.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have adopted the Tonino Blasi method of low-gun skeet shooting. There are 12 steps, and you can read them on www.issfnews.com.

You establish a control zone, the area where you are going to control and shoot the clay. Then, you don't try to watch the clay, but the clay is just a trigger to take action, and you immediately move the gun to the control zone and break the target...you will see the clay all the way to your control zone.

In international at 60mph, low-gun, staggered pull, they break the clay 21 feet before the central stake!!! However, the idea works just as well for American, low-gun skeet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tend to use pre-mounted for skeet as im still getting used to getting the correct mount automatically, and judging the right amount of lead on the clays.

Once I start hitting in the 20`s and feel confident at shooting skeet, i`ll try the move, mount, shoot technique, since like other people have said, its what you do when you do sporting or hunting. Then i`ll try a bit of sporting and see how I get on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts