Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goose season opened here in NJ on Monday. I went out this morning and bagged 4 honkers, by myself, my first time goose hunting ever.

A friend let me use his decoys and we set them up before dark last night. I had them come in steady for around an hour. The 4 I got were with 12 gauge 3-1/2" heavy shot. I used nitro steel on a couple of birds and it just bounced off of them. I was using my 1187 supermag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Round 3:

During the past week the friend that hunted with me last Saturday also bought a popup blind and some decoys. He went to "our" spot yesterday afternoon with another friend and got skunked. They forgot their goose call(s). He left his setup there with the intention of me setting up near him for today's hunt :evil:

I went there just before dark yesterday and nearly fell over. He had the most awful setup near a hedgerow, near a dirt road. I wound up setting up around 200yards away on the other side of a small hill. We meet there this morning and now he has his son (doesn't hunt) and a different friend with him. He wonder's where my setup is. I point it out to him and he wants to move near me. I advise against it telling him he'll be OK where he is (it's getting light out :evil: ).

I immediately get around 30 ducks to come into the geese decoy, too bad duck season doesn't open for another 2 weeks. Then 2 geese come in. For some reason they all flush and I missed these 2 :roll: A short while later, another flock comes in out of nowhere. I get a triple (I actually hit 2 with one shot, got the second and missed the 3rd :p ). I retrieve these 3 downed birds and settle back into the blind and I call in another flock. I could see and hear these birds around 400 yards away and got them turned around by agressive calling. Out if this flock I got one and missed 2.

I now have 4 in the bag when low and behold my friends are moving their blind and deeks over to me. :x :evil: :x :evil:

After that we had 2 more flocks look us over and keep going.

The End.

I quit. I'm going bow hunting next week.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
:lol: The oldest problem in goose hunting: the guys in the next blind down from ya. Sounds like you did great overall though. Great post, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts