Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could an ill fitting charge bar be the cause of powder leaking out? I did notice that sloppiness and am asking if using shims on the bottom side ends to take up and seal the bar on the top, but still allow for easy movement. I will give it a try, now I have some shim stock and I think I have clear colored stock also. has this been done before?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two of them and a metal one, I still get leakage, with and without washers. I did cut some shim stock .14 in and set it on the edges, the bar moves nice and smooth almost like a machined fit, very little wobble. I will get some glue / contact cement and attach the shims, and run a few shells and see if I have powder leakage, I hope I cane post a pic with good results.

·
Super Moderator
7,621 Posts
Also check your powder bushing and make sure it is flush to the bottom of the bar. I had a case with powder leaking with the red baffle installed, only to find it was leaking from the bottom side of the bar because the bushing was too short.

Steve

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Shimming under the bar will only exacerbate the problem. The bar and the bushing must ride flat on the bottom of the measure assy.

The bushing it'self must be flush with the bar on both ends, or you will get powder leakage.

Install the PC baffle without any washers or grommets. That's the way it's supposed to be. Also make sure the spring loaded snout of the baffle isn't hanging on the hole it works through in the measure assy.. When that happens, the snout does not contact the bar properly and leakage will occur. This can happen on the older measures where it has bottle caps soldered to the measure. Won't happen on the newer measures.

DLM

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I do see that now. I would have to make a shim that covers the whole rate of travel. I guess I will have to live with a few flakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts