Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mostly a lurker on this forum but it's been a great educational source for me. That goes double for this section of the forum since my son recently won an opportunity to go on a youth deer hunt where shotguns are the only acceptable option. Based on what I learned here I decided the best chance of optimizing his chances for success might require setting him up with a fully rifled slug barrel for his 20 ga. Remington 870 youth shotgun. So, off went the order and back came new barrel (with rifle sights) along with a selection of sabot(ed?) slugs from different manufacturers in various weights, velocities etc.
About 10 minutes after the UPS truck rolled away I was doing a barrel swap on his shotgun. Problem!! When I screwed down the cap that retains the barrel on the magazine tube it missed getting tight by 2/10 of an inch. Same with a different screw cap I had on hand. After re-evaluating all my research and the order data I convinced myself I had not ordered the wrong barrel but decided to call Remington to get the for-darn-sure correct part number just in case I made a mistake. All the time I'm thinking this is going to be a PITB to get right if I goobered up the order.
1.Called the Remington office in NC and asked for help with a technical problem involving an 870 20 ga. shotgun barrel.
2.Got a nice lady on the phone and described the problem.
3.What happened then was about 10-15 minutes of them (sounded like three people total) suggesting different things for me to try or measure, me doing what they asked and reporting back.
4.Finally the nice lady asks for my address. They are going to send me a new barrel!!

I gave that a second or two to sink in and then informed her I did not buy the barrel from Remington but rather an Internet company and just wanted to make sure I had the correct part number if I had to exchange products. Her response was nope, it was Remington's' problem, probably something off when they made the barrel, and they would make it right themselves.
Gave her my address and about a week later the UPS guys delivered my son's new barrel directly from Remington. They paid the shipping. Fit & function was perfect and is perfect match to the finish on his 870. Shoots great too!
Great customer service from Remington in my estimation.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
After being around guns for as many years as I have and hearing the horror stories of customer service about many different manufacturers, it's nice to hear a good one!

Kudos to Remington and best of luck to your son this season.

And welcome to Shotgunworld!

Jim

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Mirrors my personal experience with them when I encountered a problem. Good to see quality customer service still alive and kicking :)

How's your son shooting the new set up? When do you guys go after them?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Undecided,

Every phone rep for the company is required to demostrate proficiency assembling and disassembling every model of gun they are responsible for discusing with customers prior to working in the service department. What you heard was an actual problem solving discussion between several of those folks bouncing their ideas off each.

If I can locate it, there was an article written on the whole process a few years back. Picture it this way though. You have a group of folks that in a room together 8hrs a day 5 days a week doing nothing but discussing Remington widget A-B and C. As you can imagine, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get exceptionally good at that job quickly. After that all it takes is Remington backing their decisions financially and you get the type of service you recieved!

(All they need to do is to finally adress the failure to fire issues in the USH's and they will be set!)

Please let us know how you make out when all is said and done.

JC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. What I'm about to say may be offensive to some but it's been my experience lately with some of the services I use if I have a question/problem/loss of service and I can call CS I don't always get a person who knows what's going on and can help or there a language issue. I recently lost my cable based phone service and ended up talking thru the problem with a great fellow some place in NY. Had my phone back in 5 minutes and I can do the fix solo if it happens again. The phone/cable company made me happy that day.

Remington made me happy another day. That will make them some sales from this household in the future.

The people I spoke with in both cases knew their stuff and we understood each other clearly.

My son's deer hunt is in Nov. but he's been shooting the 870 for a little over 2 years now. He's 13 and can burn up shells on clay targets in a way that makes my wallet dry up & blow away. He's got 2 dove seasons behind him now. Expects to hit every bird, cops an attitude when he missies too many in a row. Because he can sometimes almost outshoot me already I doing all I can to teach him humility by claiming all the birds we happen to shoot at at the same time and always blame the ones that go down in the tall stuff on him. Main thing is he's safe behind the controls.

The real slug accuracy testing will happen over the next weekend or so this setup iis showing great promise. We did a little trial firing in the back yard to see what he thought of the recoil. That may have been a mistake. If I don't watch him he'll have all the ammo used up shooting milk jugs full of water, a stump and old watermelons before we even make it to the range for the real accuracy testing.

Kids these days!!

Undecided

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have had great service by Remington also. They were very helpful and also were quick on questions. I'm glad they are really helping people.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is a great story on the customer service of a good company.

I have never had the need to contact Remington for any service. I have several Remingtons in my Gun Safe.

I also purchased an 870 for my son for last Christmas. He has used it to duck hunt a few times and has also burned up a lot of shells shooting clay targets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts