Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
this is confusing so I'll answer it sans search it for yourself comments.

sabot slugs have a plastic jacket around the slug which rides in rifled slug barrels. the caseing sabot breaks away as soon as it leaves the barrell. the slug is smaller than the rifled slug in diameter.

rifled slugs have grooves on the slug which make it spin in a smooth bore. aerodymanically rifled so to speak. they work surpisingly well for closer shots.

so rifled slugs are for smooth bore tubes.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you can shoot shot thru a rifled barrel, but shouldn't. it won't pattern well at all I'd think. plus the lead cleanup on the rifling would be ugly.

it is a dedicated barrel design only for sabot slugs. this is a medium sized game hunting setup for deer.. if you want versatility for self defense or varied small game hunting, the rifled slug can be interchanged with shot since they all use the smooth bore.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
i think this topic was discussed in another thread somewhere but anyways when ur shooting shot from a shotgun barrel u dont want the shot wad n colum to spin but either way it does a bit so therefore the last thing u want is a rifled barrel which will spin the shot and when it leaves the barrel the centrifical force will cause the shot to spread way more than u want

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
:) Long ago in the day of paper (yes, for real!) shells, some folks actually had a sort of rifling put into their scatterguns to gain even more spread than a cyl. bore could give. For those 12 yard woodcock shots, I have read. Actually I have never seen such a barrel and this may be an urban legend, but it was sworn to by the gunwriters of the 50's - 60's. ???
///olde :?: 8) :?: pharte///

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
ok i know im gonna get flamed for this but if u were to use a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot shot just to get a bigger spread aint that no different than having a short barreled shotgun? (under 18 inches)

its kinda funny how whenever i ask professional shooters or gunsmiths how come u need a special liscense to own a short barreled shotgun when a full length shotgun would be more effective at longer ranges i always get the same answer: "a short barrel shotgun only serves one purpose and that is to kill somebody"

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maser said:
ok i know im gonna get flamed for this but if u were to use a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot shot just to get a bigger spread aint that no different than having a short barreled shotgun? (under 18 inches)

its kinda funny how whenever i ask professional shooters or gunsmiths how come u need a special liscense to own a short barreled shotgun when a full length shotgun would be more effective at longer ranges i always get the same answer: "a short barrel shotgun only serves one purpose and that is to kill somebody"
Actually it's "kinda funny" you can stand around a professional's shop and ask those sorts of questions without them using you for a patterning test dummy. Maybe the terse response is their way of telling you to get lost. If you talk as literately as you type, they probably think they are dealing with an idiot anyway.

The prohibition on shorty shotties is just a minor, unimportant, little, FEDERAL LAW that prohibits ANY long gun from having its barrel cut to less than 18" because that makes it a concealable weapon, kind of like a hellacious big pistol. You do know that concealable weapons require a permit, or are otherwise regulated, right, sonny boy?

As to performance, patterning, etc. etc. if you want a gigantic spread to the pattern, then by all means lop off the barrel, right at the end of the chamber, and then to remain out of jail, weld back on to the stub a bigger diameter hunk of car exhaust pipe to get back to a legal 20" or so barrel length, and make your very own blunderbuss, which you cannot aim and which will likely pattern five feet in diameter at 20 yards.

Perfect solution if you want to go to someone's barnyard and maim a whole flock of chickens with one shot.

Some of us, you may have noticed, are getting pretty fed up with folks that come up with one inane idea after another to toss into the air here, with no purpose to it past wanting to be some kind of smartass all the time.

Maybe its possible for someone to drag the river for the trolls one more time? :x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Grief :shock: Is this a touchy site, or is this just oneinchgroup's normal response ?

I'm new here, but don't see this thread any more odd than many others I encounter online.

The response just strikes me as rather harsh for a seasoned shotgun world member.

Hook686

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Hook686 said:
Good Grief :shock: Is this a touchy site, or is this just oneinchgroup's normal response ?

I'm new here , but don't see this thread any more odd than many others I encounter online.

The response just strikes me as rather harsh for a seasoned shotgun world member.

Hook686
That's why the response seems harsh. If you had been here a little longer, you would have noticed that ol Maser is a complete idiot who provides nothing useful. His only posts are non-sensical dribble that annoys rather than inform.

Sorry you had to be introduced to the forum that way. Just giving you the background info.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's not oneshotgroup. It is Maser, who asks about 10 off the wall or other questionably legal things a day.

The forum is not that bad, and to Maser's credit he has toned down a bit. Just a younger guy that we are trying to bring up to speed by dispelling myths, and pointing in the right direction when we can.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Maser said:
i think this topic was discussed in another thread somewhere but anyways when ur shooting shot from a shotgun barrel u dont want the shot wad n colum to spin but either way it does a bit so therefore the last thing u want is a rifled barrel which will spin the shot and when it leaves the barrel the centrifical force will cause the shot to spread way more than u want
Sounds like a good way to tick off what ever it is your shooting at. Although the purpose for a shotgun is spread. Too much spread and a) you will completely miss smaller targets. b) You will only serve to cause superficial wounds thus ticking the animal off and causing them to charge at you. In your case one can only hope for option B. :lol:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mike - a minor correction. The "rifling" on a slug doesn't help it to spin going down a smooth bore...or once the slug exits. My understanding is that it's there to accomodate or provide give while passing through chokes of various constrictions. i.e. If the slug was solid there may be some issues when it passes through a tight choke and doens't have any means to collapse any.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
hey u know what theres a cool barrel out there that has lands n grooves just like a rifled slug barrel but there absolutly no twist to it its just straight lands n grooves and that keeps the shot wad from spinning at all and gives better patterns

hey Hook686 its all good i couldnt care less what certain ppl here feel about me theyr just mad that i dont take the time to make my posts look all perfect but when ur a member of many forums like me and have more than 1 reply window open at once u gotta know how to type quick and not bother with spelling and grammar cuz some sites will time out ur session if u take too long

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh Thanks for the info ... I think I understand ...

my apology OneInch I guess I came in at the wrong moment.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Mazer is sort of a funny guy. Click on his profile and then view all of his posts. You will come up with some really wierd stuff but,hey,he is just a kid with a child's brain. He seems to be learning,though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hook686 said:
Oh Thanks for the info ... I think I understand ...

my apology OneInch I guess I came in at the wrong moment.
Hiya Hook686,

Looks like you came in during one of my periodic rants about trolls, spammers, and other sorts of fools that seem to haunt lots of forums. Sorry if it affected your impression about this set of forums. I'm involved in probably a dozen firearms sites as participant or in other capacities, so the troll quotient can get my back up over time, especially when various geniuses start threads that are aimed at getting info on doing illegal mods to guns.

That sort of thing is not just an irritant during these times when there is a great deal of official interest in what all us "gun nuts" are talking about on the Internet. I expect to see some Congressional committee using some of these idiot posts as justification for Federal regulation of chatrooms and forums just about any day now, so folks like Maser inquiring about chopping gun barrels down to illegal length and trying to pull test results on such an illegal weapon from some naive soul on these forums is just a huge red flag for me.

Don't want to be having y'all looking up for the black helicopters and such, but everybody needs to know that answering some of Maser's questions could cause BATF to be climbing right up your ISP looking for your home address.

As moderator over at www.slugshooting.com, I've already had that cheery experience once, when somebody got too authoritative offering advice on armor piercing ammo for slug guns, so now in addition to all the other fun stuff involved in running a forum and operating a Slug Shooter's association, we have to keep somebody online 24/7 to pull down anything that gets posted there that might bring the Feds back around again.
Hate doing it, but while free speech is one of our rights, the wrong kind of speech with the wrong "tone", can cause way more scrutiny than it's worth to let some troll slither through your site and have the regulators following right behind.

I'm guessing that Maser, if he's even old enough to vote, must be a LibDem, since he's obviously unaware that actions have consequences, and what looks like idle chat or just stupid questions to folks like us may very well get someone a phalanx of SWAT guys dropping by to collect suspected illegal firearms,check for IEDs and detonators, or maybe just to tell him to SHUT UP!

That's my excuse for being a grumpy gus, and why we no longer let folks on our forums post notes on depleted uranium slugs, explosive breeching rounds, or the potential to use .50 BMG AP and Tracer bullets available from Cabela's as 12 gauge Sabot "penetrator" loads.

Nothing chills a fireside chat like somebody serving a warrant to root through your membership list for "Actual or potential terrorists or individuals advocating or suspected of advocating or facilitating use of illegal firearms, automatic weapons or improvised explosive devices.........." One of those will curl your toes...... :!:

·
Registered
377 Posts
1gsplover in the last 2 yrs give or take the nra magazine did a write up on an italian o/u that had one barrel set up w/ choke tubes and the other had 6 inches of rifleing i cant remember mfg but i think they said it was a slow twist. they seemed to like it in the article

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am fairly new here myself.... I promise I will keep Masser company asking stupid questions :D :D I know quite a bit about the workings of cars. but must admit ignorance where shotguns are concearned.... The only thing I am sure of, is what I like...(winchester mod. 12, Browning mod. 5) :twisted: :twisted:

I stumbled across a screw in rifled extension... looks kind of cool, but no idea of how well it works... http://www.hastingsbarrels.com/choke.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts