Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot some Remington copper solid 3" sabots out of my 870 26" barrel with an extended rifled choke. I fired two at a target at about 50 yards. After examining the target there is a perfect outline of the side of the slug. Somehow the slug turned 90 degrees and went through the target sideways. The other looks like it went through at about a 45 angle. Now I didnt expect pinpoint accuracy with just a rifled choke, but I at least expected it to go through the target front first! So I'm thinking maybe i should try a smaller slug so the rifling in the choke can have more of an effect on it. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
20,284 Posts
What do you guys think?
I think that if a slug isn't started spinning when its velocity is nearly zero (i.e. near the chamber), then there isn't much chance at all of putting spin on it after it is going in excess of 1200 fps. IOW, rifled chokes do very little good.

·
Super Moderator
2,440 Posts
Sabot slugs need a good amount of spin to stabilize. I think there is very little chance a rifled choke can put enough spin on them to stabilize them. I think you'll have better luck with traditional style slugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.