Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo...
I hunted deer with highppwer rifle, archery amd a muzzlloader, this year i will not be going up north for rifle season like normal so i may hunt close to home amd my options are the iron sighted muzzlelaoder i am familar with or shoot slugs in the vent rib, bird barrel from an 870 rem. Give me a crash course on what to expect and what to do to get the best results from a smooth bore shotgun. I dont think i will match the accuracy of the muzzleloader but i am not looking to invest in a rifled barrel for what will most likely be a one time event.
Is there any certain load that seems to work better than others consistently

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got a wide group at 50 yards with your basic slug and bird barrel combo, some missing paper, and it seemed to shoot high.. I bought Federal Truball rounds and got the same results. As long as you have a bird barrel with a sight at the end of the barrel and nothing else you're wasting your time with trying out different ammunition. The coarseness of your sighting system will not allow you to take advantage of any improvements you may hope for with different ammo. Get a slug barrel, smooth or rifled, with sights and you should be able to get 3 or 4 inch grouping. I never shot slugs out of a rifled barrel and don't know what to expect but I can't bring myself to pay the price for sabots. If it were me I would get a smooth barrel with the sights. I know law enforcement that consistently hit the "vital area" on a 50 yard target with slugs and a smooth bore.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The previous poster pretty well summed it up, and as I haven't much experience with this topic, I can't add much.
I will say that in my limited work I've gotten very good close range accuracy (sub-thirty yards, with bead-sighted guns) out of Estate brand 1 ounce slugs (made by Federal) and Remington Sluggers, which seem to hit very hard. Everyone seems to swear by the Federal Truball slugs, and Brenneke seems to be about the best you can get for smoothbore compatible slugs, though I've tried neither one as of yet.

I would imagine you could get a standard field barrel to shoot as well as the average smoothbore slug tube with the right load, but it might take some experimentation to get there. Speaking of field barrels, you can always add a set of aftermarket sights to it if you have a vent rib (Tru-Glow, Hi Viz, and others make them) which would make the whole process easier. My choice would probably be these from Williams: https://www.google.com/#q=Williams+slugger+sights

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
If you truly want accuracy with factory loaded slugs get a rifled barrel and rifle sights and use sabot-type slugs. They will be more expensive per round than standard Foster-type slugs but worth it for a one-time hunt.

If buckshot will be used along with slugs get a smooth bore with rifle sights.

Buy the barrel used off an auction site and if you really think you'll never use it again just sell it on an auction site. You'd probably get most or all of your money back and have the use of the barrel to know what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I used to shoot a 28" 870 Express with Remington 2 3/4" Sluggers years ago for deer. It would shoot an empty 5 round slug box at 50 paces every shot. My gun actually shot slugs better with the modified choke. When I put in an Improved Cylinder it shot low.

·
Registered
486 Posts
jcarr said:
Can I shoot slugs out of a noble 12 gs with a lyman choke on it?
If that Lyman is like most adjustable chokes, I would say yes - though, you might want to use the most open setting. If no one else responds here, you can try a google search and see what information turns up, as well as contacting Lyman (though I'm not sure how much their modern staff will know about the old stuff...only one way to find out).

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a set of Williams sights that attach to a vent rib, they work, under $50, easy on and off, problem solved. My son has a set on a BPS, gun will shoot 4" at fifty yards with Federals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you're shooting a smooth bore, use an improved cylinder choke. I've shot every slug on the market, here's a list of the only slugs I'd bother testing out:

Remington Sluggers
Winchester Super X hollow points
Federal Tru balls
Brenneke Classic Magnum
Brenneke Green Lightening

Try all those and see what shoots best in your gun. For deer I prefer foster slugs like the first three, since they have comparable KE and expand better on thin skinned animals. Also foster slugs deflect less through brush than Brenneke slugs

·
Registered
133 Posts
This year, I'm hunting with my 12 gauge Remington 870 smoothbore with a screw-in rifled choke and a red dot scope. My shells are Slugs-R-Us which I loaded myself with 34 grains of Herco in a 2 3/4" Fiocchi clear hull and roll crimped. I'm getting about 2-3" off the bench at 50 yards and have taken two deer with as many shots to date. I've still got a tag to fill and will be out there this weekend here in Southern Illinois.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mallards Only said:
Go with the muzzy. You'll be happier.
Not sure about that - I don't think I would be happier going that route. Front stuffers are a PITA to load/re-load, and a shotgun is much more versatile. Sure, you can get greater range to a degree, but if one adds a rifled sabot barrel to a smoothbore, even that difference is essentially negated, IMO.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first deer was a smoothbore 870 express using Federal Vital Shok. I got a buck at about 30 yards and about an hour later got a doe at about 50. This was as low-tech an operation as ever existed but that didn't matter when it came time to serve up some venison!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, it sounds like you might be busy, or maybe something else. I will have to agree with the suggestion of the vent rib iron sight clamp ons and test a number of the foster style slugs. You should be able to do 50 yds with not to much problems. 75 yds may be doable with no wind and if you get lucky being a good shot a 100 yds is not out of the question if all the components agree with one another.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.