Mi question is:can i shoot slugs or brenneke with a 3/4 chocke
can it no dammage the barrel
I have two kinds of shotguns
1.Browning auto5 gauge 12 chocke 3/4
2.Browning over under gauge 12 multichocke

·
Registered
130 Posts
Personally I wouldn't shoot slugs through anything tighter than an Improved Cylinder choke. Most of the information that I have been able to find recommends the IC for rifled slugs and using a rifled barrel for sabot slugs. Going any tighter on the choke could result in damage to the gun and you. Be safe and good shooting---AFG

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Slugs are made to pass through any choke up to full. I've never heard of a full choke bulging the barrel because of slugs, in the past slugs generally were launched somewhere between 1300 and 1500 FPS. Recently a couple of manufacturers have intoduced 1800fps rifled slugs. These I would absolutely not shoot through anything other than an improved choke (1/4).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've shot the regular old rifled or "Foster" slugs through a fixed modified choke for years, never had a problem. That doesn't mean, however, that it couldn't be a problem with some other gun. One thing to consider is that the old, slower rifled slugs that JLPTexasHunter mentioned came along when most guns had fixed chokes, and many many of these guns were sold choked full or modified. I'd be very surprised to see evidence of a real problem shooting the older style slugs through a modified choke. Again, maybe such is out there, but it would be news to me. Given a CHOICE of choke, I'd agree with AFGunner, of course, that IC is the way to go.

Come back and let us know how it all works out Paul--and welcome to Shotgunworld!

Jeff23

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the replay
I wisch you a good weekend from Belgium
Tomorrow I do clay shooting with my 425 Browning
Excuse me bad Englisch
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.