Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Norinco 12 ga., 2 3/4" or 3" chamber, 19" barrel tactical pump at a local gun show this weekend. Saw them on online gun dealers going for $300, got mine for $180.

It has a rifled barrel, but I've never shot slugs before.

Wondering what brand would be best to practice with. I've got some paper targers and have the weekend off, so I'm ready to experiment!

Also, would I want to permanently switch to slugs for home defense, or stick with shot?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, first, I would recommend that you STRONGLY consider reduced-recoil slugs, if you go that way. Slugs present a real danger of overpenetration (unless you live by yourself in the boonies). Federal makes some good ones. They also give you a gun that is more controllable.

Be sure NOT to buy "rifled" slugs--those are for smoothbores. Your gun has its own rifling; trying to put a rifled slug through it may damage that.

I'm unfamiliar with the Norinco (I'm a Mossberg man), but unless you can swith the barrel to a smooth bore shot is OUT--shooting shot out of a rifled barrel will give you a rapidly expanding "donut" effect; not good.

Personaly, I think 00 buckshot is the best defense load. A slug is monsterous--wait until you see the freakin' holes you punch in that paper!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pardon my stupidity, I rearranged my words in the original post....

The barrel is a SMOOTH BORE WITH RIFLE SIGHTS. Not a rifled barrel. According to the manual, it will accept either "standard shot or rifled slugs."

Thanks for the advice anyway...what can you tell me now that I've clarified what I actually have?

By the way, Norinco is a Chinese knock-off of a tactical Rem 870. The only difference is that empty shells are ejected through the bottom, not the side. Also, the gun will hold one in the chamber and five in the mag, total of six in the gun. I actually prefer bottom-ejection, but that's just me.

Also, where is a good Web site to buy one of those shell holders for the stock? Perhaps a light for the end?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Norinco design is actually a knock-off of the Ithaca model 37, a great design in it's own right.

Regardless, if you are indoors, large birdshot is recommended by most expert for home defense. At close range, birdshot is at least as lethal as buckshot, and will not overpenetrate walls. If you see the fight moving outside, buckshot or slugs are in order, although slugs will be a lot easier to hit with when using a cylinder bore gun. Buckshot is the best of neither world, but if you have to have one load for indoor and out, go with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for correcting me on the make of my knock-off shotgun.

I was mostly worried about slugs vs. shot because I live in a townhouse right now. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stiletto--

I don't think buckshot in a low recoil load is an excessive indoor round. It certainly is not going to penetrate like many popular handgun rounds, say a .357 magnum (or a 357SIG, or even a hot 9mm +p+ round). You never know what distances or internal obstacles (a door, etc.) may come into play. I'd rather have slightly too much punch than too little. I'm somewhat of a literalist when it comes to self-defense shotguns--BIRDshot is intended to shoot relatively small birdies; BUCKshot is intended to shoot a fairly sizeable mammal. I realize the distances are going to be substantial shorter in self-defense use, but various physical barriers may also come into play. I wouldn't feel underpowered with birdshot, but I don't feel overpowered with buckshot, either. To each his own, I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.