Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen kids with 20s, but I think it would be fun to smoke those guys with a 28ga shooting the Winchester sporting clays loads. Maybe even a hot loaded .410 from the back fence. Anyone ever do this sucessfully?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I took my new mossy 500 in .410 out to the trap range and I shot a 15 with 3", but my uncle shot a 22 with it right after me so you can do it. It takes practice, and the 3" were factory rem shells. I will say it sure is fun. :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Running a 25 with a 28 ga from the 16 yard marker is not improbable if you take the target quickly. I have seen it done several times and have done it once myself. Posting good scores with the .410 is a little harder, my best has been in the 19-20 range using a 1/2 oz of 8.5s and I haven't seen anyone else try it. As to "smoking" targets from the backfence with a .410, it is pretty much a pipe dream. A .410's pattern goes to pieces rather quickly around the 25 yard mark regardless of choke and load. From the 27 yard line you would be at a severe disadvantage from the start. It is fun playing with them but I would never expect to outshoot the "big guns" on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smoking would be my competitors, not the clays. I have pretty much maxed out my shooting with the 12 from all the way back. I tried some AA Feather loads and only lost about 3 more. I need a challenge. I need to find an international trap range. An overbored 12ga and handicap loads seems like cheating anyways.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My father will occasionally throw a round on the house and let everyone shoot .410's its a neat thing to watch The highest i've seen was a 21 with federal gold medals (skeet shells and they were shootin trap)

G

·
I've never seen it done, well, I guess I have, but it was more years back than I can remember. My dad once won a shootoff at the "fence" with the Model 42 I have now! I think it was mostly psycology and luck. The guy dad had to shoot off with was his squad member that had a bit of an attitude! They had been both running 100s and they decided a shoot off at 27 would be the deciding round. Sudden death, You miss, you'r out! Dad told the other guy, Heck, I can beat you with my .410! The other guy just laughed and said, Sonny, you better get a real shotgun from back here, hollered pull, and missed it clean! Dad called for the rock and a small chunk broke off! Game over! Just LUCK! He never offered to reproduce that shot again! I'm going to give it a try one of these practice nights from the 16 yd line though!

BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.