Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter moved down to TX and now has snakes to deal with in the yard. She had two copperheads the other day in the yard. I was talking with her about maybe a 410 Judge or Governor instead of a 9mm or 45acp to widen the >1/2" pattern of a single bullet, but I have heard about some problems with the Judge and a timing of the cylinder problem. Any body have some input on the Taurus Judge or S&W Governor?

With a little research I have found the Taurus Judge has many models Poly, Black, SS, and barrel size range from 2"-6.5"

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a 22 Ruger Mark III around my property that allows me to stand at least 10' from the snake and is plenty accurate for headshots if the snake is stationary which they typically are. Got this big boy a few weeks ago!
Wood Pattern Close-up Natural material Trunk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Gentlemen,

Here in our PA mountains we have many different kinds of snakes, the best cure for unwanted dangerous snakes, is a big Black Snake. The Black Snake is usually friendly to man if you let it alone, and will eat all other snakes and many small rodents also. We have never seen a Copper Head or a Rattle Snake on our property sense we relocated a couple Black Snakes to our forest property, and our log cabin is back in the woods for sure. As much as I like my sub-gauge double guns, the Black Snake is a better cure, and long lasting. Heck we do not even have any water snakes any more. The rotten forest mice population is under control now also.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
If I'm out walking around, I usually have a Taurus 431 4" in .44 Special. Around the cottage my Taurus 605 3" in .357 is handy. Both with CCI snake loads or my handloaded ones are highly effective. If the snake is out in the open where I can use a stick or hoe that works. We seem to have more black and Kingsnakes about, and I don't see nearly as many venomous snakes as I used to.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I thought this was going to be about a Colt Python, Anaconda, Diamondback, or Boa.

I would suggest an H&R 1871 Pardner single shot, break open .410. Fairly idiot proof and it will get 'er done.

Reactions: StinkeyPete

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have a Judge - no problems with chambers lining up with the barrel. I've never heard of that problem. A Judge in a holster may be easier to carry than a long gun. The Black snake sounds like the perfect solution.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've always thought that the 5 shot Charter Arms .44 sp Bulldog (3" Barrel) loaded with 2-3 snake shot rounds followed by soft points would be the perfect snake gun for the Deep South. Handy to always have on you and not as much money (compared to a S&W) if trashed or lost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These can still be had used and maybe even new: Snake Charmer (shotgun) - Wikipedia
I have two or three of those laying around someplace... People here in AK like to keep them on their boats for dispatching large halibut before hauling them onto the deck. Bird shot will kill one no problem from point blank, yet wont likely penetrate the aluminum hull if someone does something really stupid..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I love this little gun. It's both versatile and loud - really loud. Recoil is not near as bad as I would have thought. It is both fun to shoot and loud. I actually use push-in foam earplugs and the over the ear cup muffs when I shoot it because it's so loud. Do not shoot it without hearing protection. The CCI rat shot is very underwhelming for snakes - go with #9 or #8 .410 shot shells. Matter of fact, this really isn't a good snake gun. Like someone said, get a longer barrelled single shot .410.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an older Taurus Judge that is chambered for the 2-1/2" 410 shells. Snakes are some times a problem here in Georgia too. I prefer a short barreled 410 single shot shotgun over the Judge for disposing of the snakes. The pattern with 410 size 9 shot in the Judge just spreads too much for anything but a very close range shot and I for one do not like getting close to a snake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts