Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a dumb question, but when I dry fire with my caps, I can only shoot one barrell on my O/U that has a selective barrel. I then can select the other barrel and it will fire (releasing the spring on both barrels).

At the range, I fire/release trigger/fire for skeet, doubles, etc. And had no problems the last time out. After a simple cleaning (not an entire teardown) I am not having this sequence happen with the caps.

Could this be a sign that something is wrong with the gun? Or is it something to do with using the snap caps preventing a fire/release trigger/fire for both barrels?

Help, tests, explanation is appreciated. I just don't want to go shooting and find out on the skeet field that I have only one shot available b/c of a malfunction.

Yes, I am a relatively new shooter!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
What Borrego said.

You have inertia triggers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
^^^ what they said. You've got inertial triggers on your shotgun. The idea is for the recoil of one shot to reset everything for the other barrel, so that it is almost impossible for both tubes to go bang at the same time. My old Fausti had a mechanical trigger, so I didn't have to do that. My new Browning has inertial triggers like yours, so I have to flick the safety off and back on to fire the other barrel with snap caps or in the event of a misfire. It's nothing to worry about at all.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bumping the butt with the palm of your hand or bouncing the butt on something (chair, table, etc) is a good test to see if the inertial system is working. I would do this rather than move the selector switch.

If your gun is a Beretta 68x, the first chance you can, get it to a Beretta gunsmith. They can adjust the block so that in most cases it will cycle with just the pull of the trigger. At the Golden West Grand, Sage Hill Clay Sports in Reno, NV they had a Beretta smith that offered free check ups and he did mine 682 for free.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Welcome to SGW mbrody.

Glad we could help.

Bud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.