Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
What exactly is a snipe??? A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
A snipe is a small shorebird with a long bill. Kinda similar to a killdeer.....fun to shoot as they fly very erratically and they taste good.See link for pics and specifics.www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/...300id.htmland if you decide that they are something you want to chase, there is even a snipe hunting site.www.snipehunter.com/ There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Kind of a "Did You Know?", the word Sniper comes from the old term for a hunter that managed to shoot a snipe in the 1800's (I think this was with a rifle, but I don't know for certain.) It took tremendous skill to do, and thus the presant day usage of the word "sniper" to signify a highly-skilled, and highly trained Marksman.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The TN river is way too high for the snipe to be easy access right now and we have more rain coming, maybe in Feb. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Methinks this is going to involve the old Boy Scout trick that includes the dark of night, a whistle and/or a flashlight, and a papersack???? 8)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
:lol: Ah, my first snipe hunt, I remember it well. It led eventually to trips for larger game, like cow-tipping . . .

The season for snipe and woodcock opens here Oct 25th. I am eagerly awaiting going out and missing the little buggers. And yes, they are very good eating, if you can get a few.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
For those that may not have seen a snipe or two, another feature that Shotgunworld has is pesonal photo galleries. You can upload pics of your favorite shooting iron or shots of successful days afield.

You can find them by clicking on a username and on the right side will be a hotlink to their gallery if they have one.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/album_p ... user_id=13

G

·
Snipe hunting opened here on Sept 1 but the hunting has been a little slow. Usually I hunt them in the pasture out the back door but it has been so dry that the fen has dried up. The backwaters are tough also in that there is a lot of gooey mud to slog through which tries me too quickly and makes decent footing problematic. In Nebraska or Texas I should get better shooting, I hope.

G

·
Hello, I see that this is an old thread but thought a few people might be interested in a snipe hunting forum. I have been shooting snipe for nearly thirty years but find very few others that hunt them. If you are interested please join me. I will post a link below.

The Snipe Hunters Forum

·
Registered
484 Posts
Took my first snipe @ 20 yrs. ago and have never had a crowd in any of my hot spots. Most people don't have a clue. Am i selfish for not sharing this most noble and anceint sport? Guess i'm just afraid it will end up like duck hunting in these parts, with too much pressure and not enough birds. Thanks for posting up Snipe Hunter, i would enjoy some snipe talk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Chilled shot, there are a few snipe hunters around. I live in the southeast and was introduced by a neighbor when I was twelve or thirteen. I wasn't sure about dropping a spam post like I did but I don't know how else to let people know that there is now a forum that centers around snipe. Our season opens in a few days and I hope next Saturday will be my first opportunity to hunt. Down here we walk the muddy shores of our natural lakes. I have a few old pictures that I will post on my forum. I hope you will stop in and check it out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Click where it says "Register Your Free Account (Required)" on the left side of the main page just under where it says "The Snipe Hunters Forum".

Click where it says "A Global Account" in orange.

Fill out the information on that page and you will be all set. Let me know if you have any problems. I posted some new pictures of my hunt this morning.

SH

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Desertrat,

You couldn't be more wrong!!! There really is a gamebird called a Wilson's Snipe. It lives in wetlands where it feeds on worms and insects it captures with it's 4"long beak.

It's a migratory bird that closely resembles it's close cousin the Woodcock.

They are the hardest to draw on of any game bird as they are very fast and seldom rise over 4 feet.

PS, liveing in the desert you will never see one as they line and feed only in wetlands

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It's a rare, rare occasion that I get to brag, so I ain't gonna miss this chance!
I have never missed a shot at snipe.
(In my lifetime, I have a one-for-one record. Thought it was a skinny woodcock til I got out the bird ID book.)
Sure glad I never saw another one... woulda really messed up my average.
And the bird WAS DELICIOUS!
///olde 8) pharte///

1 - 20 of 24 Posts