Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accidentally got into a bunch of snipe today. WOW what a blast. First time ive ever shot them, talk about challenging! Was using steel 6's (have to use non tox here) in search of teal/doves and ended up walking them up in a flooded pasture. The first flock i thought "snipe?!?" but didnt get a shot because i wasnt positive on the ID, after getting close enough to see that they in fact were snipe i was then able to ID them by the way they flushed. (Also killdeer and other shore birds around also). They are a spooky bird, but when i was able to sneak within range it sure was fun. Not a slow flushing bird by any means, and with such small vitals I'm surprised at how well the 6's did. They were in groups of 6-8 and would flush together, fly about 20 yards and land again. When shot at, they would go out a ways and then come back into the other end of the pasture. I sure hope they taste good! Ive shot them before (pass shooting) while duck hunting but always gave them away to others. The meat looks a lot like dove breasts, only more pale in color. If they taste good, i know what i will be doing this week!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I shot a couple at one time but did not care for the flavor. Kind of like woodcock, I leave them for others that enjoy them because of that. One recipe I read for woodcock said start with 5 pounds of hamburger for one woodcock. Saying that I accept that there may be a way to cook them and enjoy them. Hope you find one as I am sure they were fun. I am kind of a meat and potatoes sort.

DEP

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
This year has been an awesome year for snipe. We have had a lot of rain with many fields waterlogged. It has been the best season in years for me so far. I chase them in the pasture behind the house so can get in several "hunts" a day.

A pasture with ankle high grass and a skim of water adds up to plenty of snipe.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uglydog said:
This year has been an awesome year for snipe. We have had a lot of rain with many fields waterlogged. It has been the best season in years for me so far. I chase them in the pasture behind the house so can get in several "hunts" a day.

A pasture with ankle high grass and a skim of water adds up to plenty of snipe.
That is exactly what I was hunting, a cow pasture alongside a creek. The pasture has been water logged for weeks due to all the rain we have been getting.

As for cooking them.. They look like a dove so I'll try cooking them like one. Breasted them out and will try the jalapeno/bacon trick tomorrow. The fat looked strange on them, not like typical bird fat but more blotchy white fat. I scraped off as much as I could, I suspect that is where the "interesting taste" comes from.

I really hope they are edible. I definitely want to get back out there and do it a few more times before they migrate on, but there is no way I will do it if I can't find a way to cook them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We shot some last weekend while dove hunting. It was a first for us. We were going to try cooking them like doves when we cook them. Let us know how they turn out if you cook them.

snakeman32

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
We get them here in the marshes next to the best duck areas. When the ducks won't play these are often Plan B. Good fast fun shooting.

Salt, pepper, flour lightly and pan fry quickly in butter or olive oil. You can make a cream sauce from the pan drippings. A few mushrooms and maybe a little whiskey it finish. I do the same with teal, duck and dove. Medium rare to medium is about right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts