Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in EXACTLY 2 months to this day I will be 21 and I'm in the market for my first handgun

I have my eyes on a stainless steel taurus PT92 at gander mountain for around $350

it's just like this http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86378569 but without the rail (i'm not a fan of the rail anyway)

I'm in love with it, it's sexy
and I like 9mm and the 17 RD mag is a big plus as well

so on to the point

who has experience with taurus PT92's? is this a good gun?
what are it's flaws?

·
Registered
53 Posts
what a coincidence... i had a blued pt92 for a while. didnt shoot it a whole lot, but i liked the saftey/decocker on it a lot more than the beretta. i could hit cans from 40 or so yards by hand (and thats with minimal handgun experience)
and never seen it jam either.
it had the gold trim. it was awesome (hey it was the cheapest)
stainless? i'd get it for that price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im not sure if you want to carry a gun that shiney... it would kinda stand out if seen.
i'd still keep the safety on if i were you. its big enough to be easily turned off.
dont take my word for reliability, shoot it a lot if you get it

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres nothing wrong with carrying with the safety off

the pulls like a revolver with the hammer dropped
how many revolvers do you see with a safety?
it all comes to knowing how to keep your finger off the trigger
I just wanna drawn the gun, aim, and shoot if I am in danger
the safety could get in the way

It dosen't matter if it's shiney if it's concealed
and the plus is when I un....conceal it I can marvel at it's beauty lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've seen a saftey on a revolver before... haha
but i suppose its fine with it off if your that paranoid.
i'd get one of those again if i could find it that cheap

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a PT-99 AFD in satin nickel, same as PT-92 except that it's DA/SA, has adjustable rear sight and has a de-cocker.

It's a great gun, I always keep it in "Condition 1" (cocked-and-locked) status: one in the chamber, hammer cocked with the safety on. The gun has a trigger safety so I feel very safe knowing that there are two safety mechanisms that need to be disengaged to fire the pistol.

Make sure you get a DA/SA w/de-cocker as many agencies allow them to be carried because of the easy and safe way to unload the pistol.

About the only bad thing I can say about the pistol is that it is a rather large and heavy weapon, but I am a big man so weight and size are not a problem for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
netofficer3710 said:
what are it's flaws?
Big. Heavy. Marginal quality. Shop around. There are better carry options for just a few dollars more.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I had a PT99 AFS. Sold it to a friend. Had it for years prior. Couldn't fault it for anything. It looked like a Beretta, but came with more features and cost far less. It was very accurate. An all around really nice gun. One I wouldn't mind having back as a plinker.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
sagi said:
i've seen a saftey on a revolver before... haha
but i suppose its fine with it off if your that paranoid.
Paranoid? :?

Carrying a double action semi auto with the safety off is a perfectly valid and safe method of carry. Are folks who carry revolvers, most of which don't have a manual safety, paranoid? What about the thousands upon thousands of private citizens and law enforcment officers who carry Glocks or Sigs on a daily basis? Are they paranoid as well?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Photoman930 said:
netofficer3710 said:
what are it's flaws?
Big. Heavy. Marginal quality. Shop around. There are better carry options for just a few dollars more.
Had one. I wasn't a fan, but that's just me. It is a little large to carry for me, but that depends on your build and holster. If your hooked on that style both beretta and taurus make smaller framed versions. All the Taurus pistols I've owned are good quality and shoot relatively well and you can't beat the price. I just think there are better CCW pistols out there. Find a decent indoor range that rents pistols and try a couple of the mainstream shooters i.e. Glock, HK, Sig, Kimber. JMO. For a CCW that is reliable, no price is to much.

As far as carry condition, DA is safe. I happen to prefer cocked and locked, but that's the 1911 fan in me. I also believe the first shot will be the most important and that longer trigger pull doesn't produce the most accurate groups in my case.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I worked with a guy who got one of those as a 1st handgun. He had nothing but good to say about it.

It'll work fine as your first gun. One thing I would say is NOT to limit yourself on price at all. You've been around here for some time and seem serious about guns.

I ask you compadre, what's cheaper? A $350 gun that sounds pretty cool AND a $600 gun you buy later on because you decide you can't live without it? Or the $600 gun first off that you treasure and enjoy.

My first gun was a Sig P226 9mm with night sights that I bought for $500.

I was pretty pleased.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rev my friend, I do not plan to carry the taurus much if I get one anyway but I may carry it some

I am kinda debating between the taurus and a glock 17 or 21

I just want a full size hicap handgun (ya know for the zombie invasion)

I am going to get a CZ82 and I plan to carry that most of the time

I've shot CZ82's and they just feel and shoot perfect for me

I don't care what they cost I just want what i'm comfortable with and that just happens to be a 200 dollar CZ82

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
monoskier said:
Find a decent indoor range that rents pistols and try a couple of the mainstream shooters i.e. Glock, HK, Sig, Kimber.
+1 on trying different guns. The only autoloaders I would add to monoskier's list to try are the S&W M&P and Springfield XD. Try before you buy and buy the one that is the most accurate for you to shoot, regardless of price. Then do what Rev said and practice, lots.

The M&P in hi-cap 9mm worked best for me. Also, S&W has a promo going that is a pretty good deal:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... onId=10002

1 - 20 of 75 Posts