Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys, I am going to buy my first 12 ***** shotgun in the next few weeks!! Here in Canada an 870 express magnum and a Stoeger P-350 are in the same price range under $400. I want the ability to shoot right up to 3.5" shells so any other suggestions in that range would be welcomed too. Heres how I see the two feel free to correct any errors..

Rem 870 express s/mag: Pro's-A great following and tried and true construction. Alot of aftermarket parts available for cheaper prices. Durable and a great workhorse.

Con's- What's with the composite trigger guard? Doesn't come with all chokes ($30 each). Potentially rusts alot faster than normal? No 870 express super/mag in realtree camo!!

Stoeger P-350: Pro's- Comes with all chokes included. Comes in a synthetic camo model. All parts are metal including trigger guard. Has history of being linked with Benelli.

Con's- Aftermarket parts are expensive and not readily available. New untested platform. Foreign made product.

As you can see im in quite the pickle, I wan't to know if the Stoeger is the new guy on the block that has a better offer than the remmington, or if it's just a cheap knock-off. Please give me your comments on this issue as I am only buying one shot-gun and plan to keep it for a long while!! Thanks

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
An 870 will rust if not taken care of. So will any other gun.

The plastic trigger guard is just as strong, if not stronger, than many of the cast steel or aluminum trigger guards out there. Only a steel guard milled from a billet is stronger, and only if the steel is a quality grade like 4140 or better.

There are dozens of plastic framed handguns out there and their durability is beyond question. Oh, and sticking to shotguns, the following all have plastic trigger guards: Beretta 391, Beretta Extrema, Benelli SBE2, Benelli M2, Franchi I-12, Franchi 912, Franchi 712 (and its predecessor the 612).

Camo is nice decoration, but unnecesary. I hunt waterfowl using a matte blue 870 Express and wearing clothing in solid earth tones like tan, brown, and olive. Birds don't see me if I use cover and not move.

I will give you that not having all three standard chokes is a bummer. But if another $60 is a deal breaker, you might be in the wrong sport. You can burn that up in ammo in a weekend. In fact, if you get an IC choke (the gun comes with Mod) you'll be set for about 90% of your clay and bird shooting needs.

Finally, 870 = made in USA, Stoeger = made in Turkey (who did not allow us to easily open a second front in Iraq). That may not matter to a Canadian, but it sure does to this American.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Finally, 870 = made in USA, Stoeger = made in Turkey (who did not allow us to easily open a second front in Iraq). That may not matter to a Canadian, but it sure does to this American.

Deadapair couldn't have said it better. Go with the 870... :!:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So as far as a good all around type of shotgun for most birds and clays the winner seems to be the 870. I think It is going to be a Rem 870 super/magnum with a 28" barrel. As far as wood v.s. synthetic what do you think?? I like the look of the wood alot, and can't really stand the cheap tupperware stocks at all!! Everyone always says that the wood can swell in bad weather, what do you do to prevent this?? whats the worst that could happen to a wood stock??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.