Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is considering a getting a shotgun for his daughter. I've already suggested a 20 gauge, but I'm not well versed in semi autos shotguns, what would be a good, soft shooting semiauto that won't break the bank?

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
GL15fan said:
My buddy is considering a getting a shotgun for his daughter. I've already suggested a 20 gauge, but I'm not well versed in semi autos shotguns, what would be a good, soft shooting semiauto that won't break the bank?

Thanks
My vote would go to a Beretta 391 20ga. They are getting hard to find, but a real soft shooter! You can also look at the Beretta A400 28 ga. Ballistics close to each other and soft as butter to shoot! I'm wanting one to shoot sub gage sporting clays with. Shells will be more expensive and a bit more of an effort to find.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Beretta A400 Xplor
Cant beat the light recoil and dependability. Will also hold it's value if taken care of whereas cheaper autoloaders normally just get cheaper.

·
Registered
24,596 Posts
New or used make a difference? Remington 1100, various Beretta models, Weatherby SA-08 are all worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Remington Versa Max is the softest shooting gun ive ever shot...its a total piece of ****, but a soft shooter

·
Registered
354 Posts
Weatherby SA-08 synthetic 20 gauge is a soft shooter that is inexpensive. You can get youth and adult stocks for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
X2 on the SA-08. I bought my grandson one and it's a cream puff. He out shoots me every round at age 12. I spent a pheasant season with a Winchester SX3 20 gauge with a Trulock skeet 2 choke. Geez was that a soft shooting gun. Really liked it. I'm sure there are others. I'm shooting a Fabarm L4S now and it's the best auto shotgun I have shot in my price range. If you buy a 12, it's worth a look. Really soft shooter for the weight.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My Remington 1100 is much softer shooting then an O/U, and my Remington Versa Max is FAR softer shooting than the 1100. 3.5" shells out of it feel like a target 2.75" out of an o/u to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I neglected to mention the gun would be shooting target shells, would that be a issue with any of the guns mentioned? Used is a option as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue with any quality gas operated gun. A new shooter with poor form might have to use heavier loads with an inertia operated gun but it's not a certainty.
My SA-08 ran fine with 7/8oz standard target loads and the light piston out of the box. Some people report that they have had to shoot "heavy" loads out of a semi auto to break it in but I've been lucky in that has never applied to any of the semis I have purchased.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
The softest shooting and best fitting Semi I've run across is the Winchester SX3...
A bonus is that it comes with everything you need to fit it perfectly.
I know of several young wingshooters who are using the 20 gauge. While we were hunting some flood wood last year a 14 year old I occasionally hunt with made a spectacular shot on a green teal. I have also seen him drop Canada Geese with it....
The SX4 does not seem to be available as a 20....

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
GL15fan

Just a point, don't forget that a semi auto can like any gun, be fitted with a recoil pad with useful benefits.

I used a Beretta AL 391 fitted with a KickEZE for some years. This originally was for pass shooting geese with 3" 50 gm ITM shells which were pretty stout, but with a normal cartridge the recoil was very soft indeed.

Eug

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
GL15fan said:

Thanks
Sounds like lots of people are happy to break your friend's bank or are ignoring the 20 gauge. The Weatherby SA-08 20 gauge is an easy choice.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
How much shooting? It's been awhile since I shot any 20 gauge, but the first time I was at a trap range with a 20 gauge, I was 12 years old and I used a savage single shot. The recoil to me wasn't significant and after 25 rounds I wasn't intimidated. Everyone's different, but take her shooting and let her try a variety of guns if possible. My wife shoots a 20 ga pump and is fine with that for the few rounds that that requires. Let his daughter decide.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Beretta A400 parallel target RL. Personally, I would suggest 12 gauge. These guns are so soft shooting that there is no sense in buying a 20 gauge. And making her new shooting experience slightly handicapped by a 20 gauge. My 14 year old granddaughter shoots it with no issues.

Also, if you can find one, a Beretta 3901 is an awesome little shotgun. Once again, 12 gauge as it is soft. I got this gun new, but you can find them used and they are great for smaller frames and soft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Beretta 391 Urika Gold, a 391 Urika II, have a Browning Silver Hunter and a Browning Maxus Sporting Clays. The Browning Maxus Sporting Clays is a very soft shooter.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It is more important that the gun fits than anything else. A gun that does not fit will lead to poor success and getting beat up by the gun. Read up on guns for women with the search function, but will break it down for u to get started.

There are several guns designed for women out. Unfortunately IMHO they are 12/28. So depending on the girls size they may be a bit heavy. However, with some 7/8 oz loads they will shoot even softer than a 20 ga.

Any of the syren shotguns. They have models for clays or hunting.

Franchi makes the catalyst for women in both the inertia guns and o/u. I would go for the o/u since it will have about the same recoil as the inertia gun, also it is short and this will make it easier to handle. Finally you can add unlimited amount of weight to an o/u for recoil but the inertia gun will fail to cycle at some point if you add to much weight. All these guns are fairly light weight.

CZ lady sterling. Only in 12/28. Sort of heavy, lop is kind of long with thin recoil pad. I add a nice thick pad, but that would require cutting the stock.

a rem 1100 or 870 in 12 or 20. You can add a boyds american plainsmen stock. Have it cut for LOP and pitch. This has the high comb women need and shorter reach to trigger. (my wife is doing well with this setup till we can afford a ladies gun)

any of the beretta 39x or 400. You can later get a wenig ladies stock in 12 or 20. The stocks are expensive though.

Other than that your options are a gun made for a man or a gun made for a man with a couple inches of the stock whacked off.

I contacted weatherby and suggested they bring out a lady cut sa-08 to compliment their new Camilla rifle. They said that they have been considering it but no plans to build one yet. I would totally buy one of these. Women need a good lightweight gas gun at an affordable price built to fit them. Myself and many others can't justify breaking out 2,000 bucks to to find out they do not enjoy shotgunning. Yet they are unlikely to enjoy it if they are getting beat up and don't hit anything.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts