Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - does anybody know of a vendor/manf that sells a solid (that is, one piece) shotgun cleaning rod that accepts standard brushes and is made to go into a drill chuck?

I have seen a number of solid rods but they have handles. I have found one that is made for a drill, but it appears from the web site that it does not accept standard brushes.

My alternative is to go to a machine shop and have one easily made...but I thought to ask first.

Thanks

Stephen

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Go to wallyworld an pick up one of the 3 pc. aluminum ones for a shotgun. Heck of a lot cheaper than a solid brass one. Take the handle off an chuck it in the drill. Works great, aluminum won't hurt the barrels either.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Don, you probably haven't looked at the latest cleaning rods available, and are using your old/stout rods from eons ago like me.

The new ones, have a reducer/bushing that go from some tiny (like 1/8") stem to the brush diameter-----put that puppy in a drill and it might make 10 revs before it snaps :roll: :roll:

I looked at WalMart/Gander/Academy and anywhere else I could think of to find the old style with 3/8 rods, even 5/16ths and they are a no-show :(

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Baron23 said:
I have seen a number of solid rods but they have handles.
If you have found one that will work, minus handle, it (handle) either likely unscrews or is glued. About 30 years ago I just broke the plastic handle off the aluminum ones, chucked it up and was done.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Well, I'll be darned. I just learned something new today. I just went on the assumption that the new ones were like the old ones. Color me red, :oops:

My old ones are about 3/8" in diameter. I just took the handle off , chucked it in the drill an was good to go. I had about 3-4 laying around that I didn't use anymore, so I hadn't really looked at the new ones.

Sorry Baron23 for the bad info.

Seems to me I remember seeing some brass cleaning rods listed in Brownells. Course I could be wrong there too. :oops: They might have been for a rifle, not shotguns.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...I have a rather old Rosewood and brass rod and it directly accepts the brush (whatever diameter hole and thread type that is) and I also have your basic multi-piece aluminum rod that I have to use for .410 tubes (wood rod is too big) and it has the adapter Steve referred to. Actually, almost all I have seen are like that.

I think that I will get a solid with handle and, as suggested, just wrestle the handle off...maybe square up the end with a vice a bit to get a better grip in the drill chuck.

eh...I thought I'd take a chance and see if anybody knew of a suitable item right off of the shelf.

I appreciate your replies and and offer my thanks.

Stephen

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hawkdriver - thanks...that's perfect, exactly what I'm looking for.

With Thanks,

Stephen Meyers

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
I highly recommend Johnny's stuff. And, he's a good guy to do business with.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tal/IL - thanks, I have already been in touch with him and he will be shipping product out to me today. A real pleasure to work with and I'm looking forward to getting the rods...tendanitis (sp?...well, tennis elbow but its not from tennis) in my right arm is making a drill rod ever more attractive an investment.

I hate getting older....but just a bit less than I hate the idea of dying :)

Cheers

Stephen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.