Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy a good discussion on off topic items. What are some of your pet peeves?

One of the first I can think of, and there are many, is motorists who ride my bumper as if they will arrive at their site earlier if they drive 'thru me". Especially at night when they keep their headlights on bright.

What is one of your pet peeves?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The fact that hospitals don't have bars. It's the one place most people waiting could use a good bar, and typically, you spend a lot of time waiting at hospitals. All I get now is a room full of miserable people, uncomfortable chairs, a few old magazines, and one crappy TV channel tuned to the most innocuous channel available. Think of the money that could be made and the improvement in moral if they installed a small pub. I'm not advocating access for patients; that would be dangerous and possibly illegal, but for the guy who's in there waiting out an 8 hour procedure for a family member, it would be, if you'll pardon the pun, a real life-saver.

I see it as a win-win. Operation is a success? Great - you've got a leg up on the celebration. Not so much? Well... at least some of the edge is off....

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Oh, my, did you open Pandora's box. This might be entertaining; let me get the popcorn.

I get hit with one of my pet peeves nearly every time I visit this site. And that is the horrid word usage I see. Your does NOT equal you're, their is NOT the same as there, hear is NOT interchangeable with here, coarse is NOT the same as course................you get the idea. I won't even mention spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
thestumper said:
The fact that hospitals don't have bars. It's the one place most people waiting could use a good bar, and typically, you spend a lot of time waiting at hospitals. All I get now is a room full of miserable people, uncomfortable chairs, a few old magazines, and one crappy TV channel tuned to the most innocuous channel available. Think of the money that could be made and the improvement in moral if they installed a small pub. I'm not advocating access for patients; that would be dangerous and possibly illegal, but for the guy who's in there waiting out an 8 hour procedure for a family member, it would be, if you'll pardon the pun, a real life-saver.

I see it as a win-win. Operation is a success? Great - you've got a leg up on the celebration. Not so much? Well... at least some of the edge is off....
This may not be the worst idea I've ever heard of, but it's awfully close. Hospital employees have enough on their hands without having to deal with drunks. Sorry, but if you're sitting several hours with nothing to do but drink.................you're going to have drunks.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Slow folks in the left lane who don't move over to let others pass................. :wink:

·
Registered
393 Posts
My pet peeve is magnetized cars. You know the ones that seemed to be attached to each other going down the four lane. There may be a half mile of vacant space in front and behind these 4-6 cars but they insist on staying in a tight bunch like Nascar at highway speeds. If you try to stay out in front of them they will accelerate to catch you, not to pass you but to magnetize you and keep you with them.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
A car comes flying up behind you,rides the bumper for a couple of seconds,then comes around you and then pulls back in front of you(a little to close for comfort IMO) then hits the brakes to make a right hand turn. :evil: :evil: MIGHT use the signal most times not

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I might have mentioned this in the old peeves thread, but it's worth repeating because it still annoys me.

Okay, let me explain how an elevator call button works. When the button is pressed, it lights up. That symbolizes that the button was already pressed and the elevator is on it's way. Why to people who also want to use the elevator feel the need to press the button again even though they can clearly see it's lit up and has already been pressed. Was my button press not good enough for you? And don't even get me started on parents who think it's cute to let their kids press all the buttons inside the elevator at once so we all get to travel one floor at a time.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good posts, gents. Keep them coming.

Another of my pet peeves is over-weight cops who can't run a hundred yards if their life depended upon it, much less trying to catch a perp that is not keen on going to jail.

Oh, the jail is now called a detention center, sorry about that! Oh, my! Everything has to have a fancy name. In my day, detectives were called investigators. I suppose that some jurisdictions were using the detective title but it was just before I retired that our personnel manual had a position entitled "detective".

Keep the peeves coming, guys. I love to read them and we all have them.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Oh, the jail is now called a detention center,
Correctional Facility (add the syllables) and then go to You Tube and see George Carlin's old video about we stretch out words so they don't bother us as much....His famous Shell Shock, became Battle fatigue, and then Post Traumatic Stress Disorder............ :wink:

I shop for the groceries in my house and do the cooking and I shop almost everyday so I only get a few things at a time. I HATE those schmucks who bring 20+ items into the 10 or less lane............and yes, I have said slightly loud how some folks must have failed basic first grade counting. I feel for the grocery store folks as they cannot say anything - doesn't stop me. Same for the buttheads who park in the handicapped spaces because the person riding along is the reason for the placard, but they never leave the car. The person going in can afford to take a few more steps and leave that spot for someone who truly needs it.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Vette Jockey said:
Oh, my, did you open Pandora's box. This might be entertaining; let me get the popcorn.

I get hit with one of my pet peeves nearly every time I visit this site. And that is the horrid word usage I see. Your does NOT equal you're, their is NOT the same as there, hear is NOT interchangeable with here, coarse is NOT the same as course................you get the idea. I won't even mention spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
A man of my own heart.

Why do people add the word "point" to price?

"Solution(s)" no longer means anything. Tens of thousands of businesses have incorporated that word into their name.

"Going forward." Means nothing. There is no other way to go because it always implies the future. We used to have a perfectly good phrase that meant exactly what it said--"from now on."

"Platform." How many people have to throw that meaningless word into every mention of an AR-15?

"Making history." So what? We don't have to be told that; history books are written for that very purpose. Now there's a movie coming out about the 'history making' first female MLB player...which hasn't even occurred yet.

"Then" used in place of "than," e.g., "I'd like to see Mrs. Bill Klinton hit by a stroke of lightning then see her become President." Wrong word choice there gives a whole different meaning.

edit to add:

"Active shooter." I'm sorry, but for this to have any meaning, there must be another kind of shooter that the word 'active' is needed to more accurately describe. What's an 'inactive' shooter? A gun owner sitting on his sofa, watching tv?

"First responder." Unless the police, firemen or paramedics caused whatever they're responding to, they're never the "first" responders. Somebody had to call them and most likely ordinary citizens were performing the real 'first response' before they ever arrived on the scene.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
Folks you let their kids just run loose/amok where ever they are at,and don't get me started on kids back talking their parents when the parents actually try and get them to sort of mind them and behave correctly in public. And many parents/kids have little to no manners or common courtesy towards other people.

The list goes on and on :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When you pay in a restaurant, usually directly to the waiter, and they don't give you back ALL of the change. If the bill was $12.94, and I give them a $20, I want to get $7.06 back, not $7.00.

I am usually a pretty generous tipper around the 20% or higher range. If they short change me by even just a few cents I will limit it to 15% usually less, and I count the missing 6 cents as part of their tip. More than once I have spoken with the manager to express my displeasure at being short changed. If you can't make the correct change short change the business, but NEVER the customer!

·
Registered
23,202 Posts
People who can't comprehend what SPEED LIMIT stands for. People who are turning left in front of you, your light is green and 3 more cars will go through, and lastly when the speed limit increases, people think they can go that speed when they see the sign, not when they reach it :!: :!:

cdb

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Vette Jockey said:
oneounceload said:
Slow folks in the left lane who don't move over to let others pass................. :wink:
You can't pass on the right? :wink: To me, if you're passed on the right, it's a clear indication you're not paying attention and probably shouldn't be driving.
WAY too many times........and this is on a 3 lane Interstate......and down here the biggest culprits have plates from GA, IN, MI, OH and ON (Canada)

I really liked on my trip out West and back, those states that had signs stating it was a law to keep right except to pass; that and 75 -80 mph limits were real nice on county roads

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Someone mentioned grocery shopping- that is where I run into some of my pet peeves. I absolutely hate when people walk through the door and immediately stop blocking the entrance. I have begun to tell people to keep moving and not block the entrance as others are trying to get through. My wife is not keen on going to the store with me as she does not like the nasty looks we receive. It doesn't help that I often direct the remarks her way as she is bad at stopping in the doorway too. She says she is trying to orientate herself to the store but I reply she can do that after taking a couple steps to the side so others can get in easily.

I also hate people who walk abreast and block off the aisle. Most often they don't move until they are almost on top of you. Then they they give me the evil eye as I make them move from my side of the aisle. I nearly always grab a cart when I shop, just for this reason. People are much less likely to argue with the cart than a basket.

Another peeve is being hit with the cart by the person behind me when waiting in line. For whatever reason, many seem to think things will move faster if they ram the person ahead of them with their cart. I''l let the first bump pass as accidents happen but the second one gets a mean look from me. The third one gets the cart shoved back as well as being given my best "do it again, I dare you" look. The fourth one gets the "What's your problem? It's the fourth time you have run your cart into me and I want to know why?" question directed at the offender in a loud voice.

When it comes time to pay, those who wait to pull out their wallets until the cashier gives the total drive me up the wall. It is even worse if they rummage through their purse to find the exact change. Then they have to put the change or card back into the wallet just so and it can't be hurried at all. I have my wallet out and have a rough figure of the price so I have the money in hand when the cashier begins to ring up my purchase. Change goes into a pocket until I get home and have plenty of time to put into my wallet as I want it. If it is a larger order I begin packing bags as the items come down the belt and then pay when the cashier is done.

Seguing into the next peeve, it drives me up a wall when people cannot pack their grocery bags in a reasonable time. Far too often I see people carefully set things into bags and then nearly unpack the whole bag to put different items in. This is in addition to those who take as much time to pack the bags as it took to shop. Make a plan while you are shopping and adhere to it when you get to the check out. It is rude and wastes the time of others if you cannot fathom how to correctly pack a bag.

My favorite grocery store is a small mom and pop store who still employs baggers. They do it not only as a favor to their customers but it also speeds the check out process which makes for happy customers. Having a bagger also means one cashier can process as many customers as two can without a bagger.

These are my most recent peeves as I went grocery shopping today. I am fortunate I can shop during the slowest times of the day so I can avoid the crowds. I am getting to the point I am considering to refuse to go in the evenings or weekends due to the rudeness of others. I would have done so if not for having to face my wife. The cold shoulder from her is worse than the behavior of those at the grocery store but those causing me consternation at the store are getting close to equaling her. .

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Losing my keys.

I hate keys.

I grew up in a world with the keys in the cars and all the doors unlocked, and I just get beside myself, at myself, when I misplace my keys.

Then it brings up my other pet peeve, which is losing my temper.

I hardly ever lose my temper, except at myself for me losing my keys.

An angry man has no more judgement than a drunk, and I was taught that anger is a grave sin against the Lord.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The check out line reminds me of my brother's story. He was in a big hurry to get something and came up behind a little old lady at the checkout. The lady started arguing with the cashier about an ad that showed $1 off on coffee. After some minutes that seemed like eternity. He finally pulled out his wallet and said "Here lady, here's a dollar now get out of my way".

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.