Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I've posted this on the right forum. I'm going to the gun show tomorrow and will be looking for several things.

I have a Baikal IZH27, 20 ga. in nickel (picking it up tomorrow :D ) and want to look for some once fired hulls. Which do most of you prefer for reloading for Skeet? About what should I expect to pay? Probably looking for a couple thousand.

I'm assuming I should shoot factory loads initially during break-in and will be on the lookout for a deal on those based on whichever of the hulls you guys suggest for reloading. Again, what would good prices be for approx. 4 flats? I think a flat is 250 rounds.

I need everything since I'm just starting out, again. I'll be looking for a case, shell bag/box, empty shell holder? Anything else you might suggest? I'm also hoping to find a good deal on a reloader. Anything special I should look for as far as condition, trouble spots, brands/models to stay away from etc.?

What about preferences for powder, wads etc. based on the preferred hulls? Sheesh, I hope this isn't to long of a post.

Oh, I'm guessing I should be looking for no. 9 shot since I'll only be shooting Skeet. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance. I really like this site. It truly is "the Friendliest Shooting Forum on the Net!"

· Registered
117 Posts
Holy Cow...!
now that was a lot of questions!

I'll try to answer a few of them and leave some for some other folks.

First off, I would look for Winchester AA or Remington Premier hulls or both. I shoot the same load out of both hulls and it works just fine. expect to pay about 6 cents a piece for them. I disremember exactly, so you'll want to confirm this with a published load but I like 16.5 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays, Claybuster AA20 equivalent wads, Winchester W209 primers, and 7/8 oz number 9 magnum shot.
The best loader out there for the money is the MEC. You can get a brand new model 600 for less than a C-note.

I don't see any reason to break in the gun with factory shells. Wal-mart has 'em for $2.99/box if ya want to go that way. :!: Be careful buyin' the cheap stuff from Wal-mart, though. I honestly believe it's worth it to pay a little more for stuff at the local gun shop. We want to keep those guys in business. Just try askin' the Wal-mart clerk if you should use Fiocchi or Winchester high brass for Phesants! :!:

Don't get me wrong your questions are all valid. I'm gonna let others voice their thoughts now

· Registered
17,858 Posts
Cemoto-man is right on. I prefer the old style AAs, but they are indeed becoming a prized posesion! The STS is a good hull, probably next best. I also load quite a few of the Remington HighVelocity and field load hulls. They load just like the STS and AAs. I use quite a few Federal and Estate and Cheddite hulls too. Mostly since I have about 15 bags of ACTIVE wads and a good load for those hulls and the Solo 1250 powder I'm using right now! I hate to buy to many hulls, new shells aren't that bad a price when you factor in the .06 or more plus shipping involved in getting them to you. 20 ga hulls are indeed more difficult to get hold of. I find that at most Skeet clubs and Sporting clays ranges you can scrounge quite a few hulls for no more than the asking. There are a lot of folks that don't reload. I don't know what's the matter with them?? I've got a few of the new cheapo Winchester hulls from Wally-world too and they seem to work about like the new style AAs. Don't know how long they will last yet, but for free??

Wads? I use WW, ClayBuster, PC, Hornady Versalite, RP, and now Active. Yes, they were a good deal! Less than $5 for the whole bunch of them. For that price, I can tollerate them! They are not a bad wad, not is the Active hull a bad hull. Pick up all you can find!

BP

G

·
I'd shed a tear for the old AA's, and avoid the new one's like the plague. Peruse the forums (here and elsewhere) and you'll read of people having adjustment problems with their reloaders, creased hulls, and even hulls coming apart in the gun. Go with the Remington. I made the switch, and I couldn't be happier.

Next, don't trust any recipe's people post. It's not that they aren't necessarily accurate, but even a slight typo could harm you or your gun. Get Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook, and/or download data from the powder company's website. Use the posted recipes as a reference and confirm it in the book or the data from the site.

No reason not to shoot reloads from the start. Have fun with your new gun!

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everybody. I went ahead and bought the Winchester AA 20ga. 7/8oz #9shot target loads at Sportsmans Warehouse as those were the only ones I could find in #9.

I also bought the MEC 600 Jr., Universal Clays powder, Claybuster WAA20 wads, Winchester 209 primers and #9 Magnum shot. In looking at the data in "Reloading for Shotgunner" book, I was confused as to whether I have the compression or poly type hulls. I haven't fired any yet but they do have the "HS". Which would these be? My guess is they are the polyformed and that's why I bought the above components. Did I do right?

· Registered
17,858 Posts
They are the new non desirable types. They can be loaded satisfactorily but being a new guy you will likley have difficulty. You need to seat the wad with a lot of pressure, have plenty of space between the shot and the top of the hull, and then DON'T pre form your crimp TOO much or else you will get too much hull in your crimp and they it will be difficult to seat the crimp and that will buckle/wrinkle your hulls right at the joint of the inner cup and the hull wall. Once you get it figured out, they aren't all that bad, but they still arent the old AAs!

BP

· Registered
549 Posts
I would buy Remington STS at WalMart they run less than $5 a box and now you truly have once fired hulls.Go to Hogdons website and download the free reloading guide.I use International Clays for 20 gauge target loads.
www.hogdon.com I use the Cheddite hulls that you can get from grafs for all my hunting loads with Longshot powder.
www.grafs.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.