Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be my first shotgun, will be my deer and beer bottle gun! I just want something reliable that looks good also, want to be able to pass this gun down (when I have kids ;) I know the 870 is well thought of also, but that Browning $75 off looks hard to beat. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The last time I bought a pump I was trying to decide between an 870 and BPS. What sold me on the 870 was the safety. Here in NJ we are limited to shotguns for deer (archery and muzzle loader also). I still use buck shot but am considering a slug barrel with scope this year.

Where I was hunting at the time the shots were usually real close. I hunt deer from portable tree stands 99% of the time. I don't know if it was that particular BPS I was looking at but the safety was really loud compared to the 870. Maybe over time the safety on the BPS would have quieted down but I didn't want to take the chance. Other than that the BPS looked like a great gun. It really wouldn't be a bad choice.

Another gun worth considering is the Winchester pump. I never shot one but the reviews are positive. Again this is the Chevy, Ford, Chrysler comparison. Try them all and pick the one you like best. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The Browning name is popular amongst shooters, but not because of their pumps. The BPS I had was about half a pound heavier than the 870 Express (even more so than a Wingmaster). Mine had a 26" barrel an was 7.75 lbs. An equivalent Express is 7.25, and the newer Wingmaster with the same barrel is 6.75 lbs. The BPS was also a pain in the *** to keep clean. Everything seemed to smudge the bluing, way more than on other guns. The Browning looks good, which is why I bought mine, but I have since traded it for an Express. If I had had extra money to begin with I would have bought a Wingmaster, since I took a hit on the trade I settled for the Express. I like the Express better now that I have shot it anyway. If you bought a Wingmaster, it would definately become and heirloom.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Pumper, I've been shooting Wingmasters for years, and they are awsome by any stretch of the imagination, but don't even try to compare an Express with a BPS. You might be able to compare the Wingmaster and the BPS. The Express is a piece of junk. It rusts very easy, the ones that I have encountered also seem to jam up, and i have seen better wood on picnic tables! I am very surprised that a great gun mfgr. like Remington would even produce such an inferior product.$$ Oh yea, the BPS 12 ga. that I've been looking at, are of pretty damn good quality. At least Browning has not come out with a piece of junk like the Express! Just my 2cents!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Dixie Dawg, if the BPS turns your crank, go for it! I've owned two, one of which I still have, a hand-me-down from my Dad after he passed away (I also own an 870 Super Mag SP). In my opinion, the BPS is a solid, well built gun that will last a lifetime and then some. I like the top safety and bottom ejection. Bottom ejection is great because you're not shucking shells in your partner's face. Hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have found that a light gun beats a pretty gun anytime, unless you only intend to hang it on the wall. I always tweak my guns anyway, so in my hands the functioning of both guns is equal. Like I said, I would have preferred the Wingmaster but the cost was higher than my savings account at the time. My express regularly outshoots a brace of Perazzis at the club. You have seen them with problems, but I have never encounterd one that would not work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dixie Dawg1 said:
Will be my first shotgun, will be my deer and beer bottle gun! I just want something reliable that looks good also, want to be able to pass this gun down (when I have kids ;) I know the 870 is well thought of also, but that Browning $75 off looks hard to beat. Thanks for any opinions.
If you are still looking for a BPS, I have a Stalker 12ga. ANIB plus a Hastings slug barrel and other goodies for sale. If you are interested contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just bought a Browning BPS Stalker 12 ga with a 3 1/2" chamber.
It is black synthetic. One reason I picked the BPS is if you are duck hunting you won't throw your empties on your dog or partner, and the saftey on mine is quieter than the one on my 1300 20 ga, plus it is on the reciever so its easier to access.

Go for it. If you hunt in fowl weather, get a synthetic, I have seen 870 stocks swell big time when wet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BPS is a well- built gun, but two things you might consider. I had one in 28 *****, and the high rib made it shoot really high even sighting down the rib it shot 70/30. The other thing is that my style of shooting is that I grip the forend near the reciever, and I was blocking the ejected shell, and causing jams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you will look above at dixiedawgs link a "SOME ONE TALK ME OUT OF A BPS", I made a reply that I had one, and that I was causing jams, by gripping the slide short, and blocking the ejected shell. I tried gripping it further out, and it just didn't feel right. I really liked the gun, and had to sell it at a loss. My buddy that bought it had some custom work done on it, and then he sold it too. he said he was doing the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.