Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been shooting trap for a couple of years with my Benelli Nova pump. I tried Skeet a few days ago and found that it was a little difficult with the pump, so I'm now thinking of getting a O/U to use for both. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm not interested in buying top of the line (and I realize you get what you pay for). Also, I'm not interested in an auto. With that said, who thinks the Mossberg Silver Reserve sporting would be a good starter O/U? If you have an opinion, please let me know if you've ever actually owned one. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't own one so my opinion doesn't carry as much weight but here goes. If you are buying an over/under for targets, (trap,skeet,sporting) I would not get the Silver Reserve. I would save up my money and get a used Browning or Berretta. High volume shooting is hard on a gun and while I think the Mossberg would hold up for hunting I doubt its up to the thousands of rounds a target gun will need to be shot for you to get good at the games. My advice get one good gun and shoot it till you are good.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
have you tried the gun in the store for fit? in skeet the fit on the doubles its more important than in trap. helps the swing or so ive found.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've had my Silver Reserve for about a year and half ... no problems ... I've only shot trap and once I shot sporting clays .. I got it so I could shoot sporting clays and skeet .. I still need to shoot skeet

The gun is fine .. I just need to break a few more targets to be totally satisfied

·
Registered
895 Posts
My neighbor has 3 of them. a field gun, a 20ga, and the sporting clays version. He loves them but thinks the triggers are a little stiff. He did loss one firing pin on the field 12ga., but Mossberg took care of that for him. He shoots them very well and so do I when I shoot it. As A starter gun I think they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
These are made by Khan. I have a Khan branded one.

The fit and finish are horrible... just horrible. Looks like it was finished in a high school shop class.

Lots of metal filings in the receiver, and it's doubled on me several times. I still use it when I'll be hunting in thick cover, since I don't care if it gets damaged, but it's really not a good gun, and I can't recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
RifleMan81 said:
...who thinks the Mossberg Silver Reserve sporting would be a good starter O/U? If you have an opinion, please let me know if you've ever actually owned one. Thanks.
The 1st thing to do is to find a shop or someone that has a "sporting" version. The LOP is 1/2" longer than the standard Silver Reserve. The gun may or may not fit you very well.

The Silver Reserves had some firing pin issues that Mossberg has fixed, the club that I belong to has a bunch of these that are used as loaners and rental guns, they haven't had any problems...and they are from before the "fix"...

Try and shoulder the gun and see if it fits and feels good.

Smitty

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 12, but I did buy a SR 28 ga.
I really like it. One guy at my club has the 12 Khan also.
He likes it and has had no trouble.
What Smitty said, check for fit before buying, this is good advice for all shotgun purchases.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I've had a SR...after 500+/- rounds the lower firing pin broke. I did everything folks suggested on this forum...cleaned the filings out of the receiver, kept the gun clean and lubed, was very carful opening and closing the gun, never dry-fired. While it was being repaired by Mossberg I had the opportunity to shoot my son's Browning Citori XT, bought a used one, and have never looked back (I'm addicted to shooting trap and the withdrawal pain of waiting for repairs was unbearable). There are some great used guns available; save your money & get a quality used gun that will last for years. :roll:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jamma said:
...I've had a SR...after 500+/- rounds the lower firing pin broke.
What was your serial number?? The highest serial number I've come up with that had problems is in the TR12 034xxx range...

Smitty

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, I don't know, since I traded it in. I can tell you that I bought it new in December of 2006, and had problems in February of 2007. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info, Smitty. If Mossberg does, in fact, have the problem fixed, then the SR is probably a decent buy. Mine was a 12 ga. Sporting Model, and it shot just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.