Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A negligent discharge ! My Granddaughters' husband got a new 9mm pistol for his birthday and he took it over to show it to his F-I-L. S-I L managed to shot himself through his thigh through the calf of his leg and out the ankle.

My daughter called and told us about it late yesterday. After finding out he would be ok in a little while I asked if he wanted to borrow a .44 Mag from me next time.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Kind of ironic. I just had my 27th birthday the 1st of this month and I was actually looking on Gunbroker for some decently priced Ruger Redhawks/Super Redhawks in .44 Mag.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's not negligent. He pointed the pistol, he put his finger on the trigger. It had to be intentional. What a dumb... (you know). Thank God no innocent person was hurt.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
At least it wasn't the old "It just went off....." excuse. Glad he's going to be OK; wonder if this will curb his enthusiasm?

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Vette Jockey said:
A Glock? Seems like an awful lot of AD's are done with a Glock.
Because Glocks are for inexperienced shooters. Hence why cops use them. :roll:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maser said:
Vette Jockey said:
A Glock? Seems like an awful lot of AD's are done with a Glock.
Because Glocks are for inexperienced shooters. Hence why cops use them. :roll:
One of the most experienced shooters out there (national level 3 gun, firearms manufacturer, and highly intelligent) shot himself in a similar manner with a competition double stack 2011. It can happen to anyone at anytime, never get complacent. Thank goodness you SIL wasn't killed.

·
Registered
14,134 Posts
Through the thigh? Was it in the holster when the trigger was pulled?

I hope he heals up alright. Good thing it wasn't a hollow point.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What a shame. I assume he is a young man. He may be "okay" which is great but I bet that leg will never be the same again. He'll probably never look at another firearm the same way either.

It can happen to anyone. It's not hard to become temporarily complacent. The excitement of a new firearm or the thrill of a hunt can sometimes overide a mentality of safety and precaution. You must never allow the thought of safety to take second place in any situation.

I've been carrying my Springfield XDS IWB at SOB all summer. Not once have I put that pistol in my waistband without the thought of how bad it would be If I had an accidental discharge and shot myself at the top of my crack. I'd probably be ruined from the waist down for the rest of my life. Thankfully jacket weather has arrived so I will be carrying OWB more often.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
driller said:
Joe ---This is the husband of my daughter that lives in Middlesboro.
So your son in law shot himself with your grand son's pistol? I didn't read it correctly the first time.

Glad no one else got hurt, driller.

It's always shocking to hear about accidents like that around here. Almost everyone around here grows up with guns and hunting. The first thought is "They should have known better.". Again though, it can happen to anyone. I had a young co-worker get killed by an accidental discharge a few years back. I worked with several members of his family too and things never were the same after that.

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did your SOL (no pun intended) realize immediately that he had been shot? It seems like nearly every one of these accidents start off with "At first I did not know that I was hit". I think that it has something to do with the fact that human beings react more to a sudden loud noise than to pain, at least for the first few seconds.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To clear things up-----The pistol was a gift to my Granddaughters' husband.

It is a "Diamondback" pistol.

The Son-in-Law was sitting on the sofa with his legs crossed under him . He is a BIG boy---about 6'4"and close to 400 lbs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sorry! About Glock, I live and sleep with one because of my occupation. It's one of the safest weapons out there, you don't put your finger in the trigger guard unless the weapon is on a threat or target, (this is universal safety).
Some of you may not know this, but there is also slack in the safety and trigger that we take up before the shot and that includes on threats. If you have one go to the range and enjoy. The other reason the Glock is popular with professionals is that it can take abuse and neglect.
So there you have it.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty rare occasion when I dont have one within reach too. Has a house full of firearms and is well versed in how they operate. He is an ex- law enforcement official. Just had a stupid moment I guess.

Anyway---he will be let out of the hospital sometime today, unless a problem comes up. LUCKY GUY !!!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ouch! Glad to hear your SIL is coming home.
I worked with a unusual married couple, the wife was in her mid-forties and husband in his mid twenties and he walked with a limp. Eventually I got the story out of them, when they met wife, was married to another man, and they had an affair. Hubby finds out and confronts them at the kids house, kid pulls out his .410 ga pump and they tussle over it. End result is the kid blew a hole right through his foot which ended the confrontation. Hubby gets a divorce and wife marries the kid. Only in the south!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.