Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with some guys who came off hunting on a local wildlife preserve I heard one say the day was pretty slow; didn't see any game. Guy further said the only thing he got off were a couple "sound shots". I had heard this term before from some other hunters who lived in Pennsylvania. Didn't know what it meant then either, so I figured now was a good time to ask. Seems a "sound shot" is cracking a round off at something you hear...not see :shock: Be assured this guy wasn't pulling my leg! Am I being too old school here or is this totally reckless behavior??

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Nope, not reckless behavior, I only hope the guy was trying to get a rise out of you-----he would me.

Only thing to add, is I have heard "sound shot" stories for 40 years, hopefully they are just passed on stories.

That said, we have some public hunting areas near here along a river, a few years back orientals got into the act---couldn't speak English but had a license and were described as "shooting at anything that moved". Reported to Game Wardens which said, you have the right to protect yourself, I will call for help and do what I can.

It seemed to be a one year problem, whether or not the GW's took care of it permanently or not I don't know, but locals are still leery hunting that area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Several years ago I was hunting deer in Louisiana with a acquaintance. I heard him shoot several times and later he said they were sound shots. Last time for me!

·
Registered
115 Posts
This kind of stuff scares the s**t out of me. I have heard of guys that do this and I always worry that next time I might be the sound thay shoot at.

I was deer hunting on public land this season. I was along a tree line and saw a group of guys driving a field. At one point I saw them unleash perhaps 15 to 20 rounds into some tall grass. Then they went charging in, reloading while they were running. It looked like they were storming the beaches on D-Day.

When they walked by my stand about an hour later they did not have anything. One of the guys (turns out he was the father of the one of the teens in the group) said they "heard a deer". Nice lesson to teach your kid.

My rule is clearly ID the target, know what's behind it, and make a well placed shot for a clean kill. Any one that doesn't do this, I don't hunt with them again. It's not worth getting killed, or killing someone, for a few pounds of meat.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I used to hunt with a man whose uncle got shot because another hunter wondered in and made a sound shot. A 30-06 took out 4" of bone in his right leg. He almost bled to death and did loose the leg.
As was said be sure of your target.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts