Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I take all my gun work to Carlsons of the Carlsons choke tubes. They sell the Baiakil/Spartan and swear by them. They have had only one out of hundreds they had to send back. Crude, not that pretty but you could beat a pole in the ground with one and not hurt it. For the money very good gun.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I have found that most of the naysayers of these guns are folks who have never owned one or shot one. Folks who do own them find them to be one the best values in guns on the market today.
I have always been taught to listen to those folks who have the fruit on the tree, and ignore those that don't.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with all three of my Baikals. I've listened to all the people here complain about the Baikals, and what junk they are for over three years. There are a couple here that will poo-poo these guns at every chance. I don't pay any attention to them anymore. I have my own proof.

Good shooting,
Otto...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own 3 Baikals (2) 12ga (1) 410 all O/Us they are a very strong gun, stiff at first but after putting a few hundred RNDs through them they loosen up, I'd recommend them to anyone,I've shot around 7,200 0r so out of my sport model with no problems, about 4,000 out of my field model & just a couple hundred out of my 410, love them all :wink:

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I would not buy any of their guns in a smaller bore than a 20 ga personally. they are on a 20 ga frame and very heave for the gauge. kind of defeats the purpose to me.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have run 5000+ rounds thru mine with no problems.It was purchased as a brush/rain/snow gun to protect my Brownings.This gun has seen skeet,trap , sporting clays courses and hunted thru three states with NO problems.They lack the final fit/finish of the high $ guns-but come on they are what they are are :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
335 Posts
i bought three single shot shot guns! i will am going to give them as chirstmas presents! two 20 gauge and one twelve gauge. on for my best friend, one for my wife and one for my brother inlaw! i know they will all smile when they get them! i got them on sale at big five for 99 dollars each. i paid for only one background check. this is one sweet sweet deal! i know that they will all like it and will really really be in love with this sighle shot! i have never owened one but my buddy has the over and under and i really seems like a nice gun for the money! i cant wait to see their faces on christmas. i really want to fire them my self and i have to controll my self! imagine having three new shotguns sitting in packages ready for christmas!

·
Registered
115 Posts
ron73644 said:
Does anybody have the Spartan Sporting Singleshot? If you do, tell me what gauge, and how you like it. THANKS!!!
I have a 12ga Baikal (Spartan) IZH18 Sporting single barrel and like it very much. It is my third Baikal. I also have the IZH27 12ga Sporting O/U, and the IZH27 20ga nickel receiver o/u. I've never had a problem with any of them, and they work well for me. I use them for Skeet and Trap.

Hope this helps,
Otto...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I bought a Spartan model 310 O/U in 28 ga. 26" choked IC/MOD selective trigger.

When I got it, the trigger selector was non funtional, but it also was fireing the wrong barrel first (MOD) so I ignored it as it was intended as a skeet gun and since the 2nd shot in doubles are always closer than the first shot, that was OK by me.

After about 2-300 rounds, it got to where it would shoot the IC barrel first--some of the time. :( Thing was, I never knew which barrel it was gonna shoot first, so I sent it in for repairs.

I got it back in 9 days, which I thought was very good service, but there was a letter included in the box saying that this was a courtesy one time fix because the sears had been altered on the gun and that voided the warrantee.

This is BS because I bought the gun new from a distributor in Il. (Williams Shooters Supply), and I certainly did nothing to the sears.

However, to their credit, they replaced the trigger mechanism free of charge and it now works fine.

While it was gone I bought a RRL from the same distributor and the Spartan is now for sale.

The gun is a good rugged little gun and I shot it as well as any other gun in my battery and if money is tight and you simply can't afford 1200$ or more for a skeet gun (and I can certainly relate to that), then I think the Spartan is OK, but you will be happier if you don't shoot a Browning or a RRL or a SKB first.

Opening and closing of the Spartan requires about 2X the effort of the better guns and it is definately not a thing of beauty, but tough it is. :shock:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I've shot an 20 ga IZH-27 Baikal for about 2 years a couple of thousand rounds and been very happy with it (especially since I got one with nice wood to start with). No problems.

On impulse, a friend bought a 20 ga single shot Baikal. I forget the model number but it was the cheapest one they sell. Has a tiny bead at the end and a small ramp with about a half inch sight plane on the receiver. Damned if he doesn't shoot that one better than any of the higher end guns he owns.

Baikals are like the plain girl with a great heart, no beauty in any clasic sense, but with many qualities to love and admire.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ron,
Before you decide on a gun, be sure and look at the Yildiz. It is the about the same money as the Baikal and to me much better balanced and better looking gun that I am proud to own. I now have two of them and have 2500 rounds through one of them. I too looked at the Baikal right before I bought my first Yildiz. Briley does all the repair work on the Yildiz and makes aftermarket choke tubes for the Yildiz. By the way, the Yildiz sells for 386 at Academy. Since you are in Western Oklahoma, there are three Academy stores in Okla City and Edmond. Tulsa has a couple too. Academy also sells the Bailkal so you can check them out side by side. There is no comparison IMO. I have owned two Berettas, a Citori, Richland Arms and American Arms, all O/Us. I like the Yildiz just as well if not better for a lot less money. You can also check out the site here "Love My Yildiz." You can also check out the Yildiz at their webstie...
www.yildizshotguns.com or www.macnab.co.uk/home_1.htm
The pics are not the greatest but check it out anyway.
Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.