Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a few small upgrades to my 1300. The latest being a Speedfeed IV-S stock. What a let down!!
First, I was disappointed to see that it's actually a Remington stock with an adapter. Second, with the adapter in place the stock screw was too short. Third, after taking off the lock washer to get the stock mounted came the biggest downer of all. The design of the Winchester trigger does not allow for a smooth trigger pull with anything other than an upward pull of the trigger finger. (traditional grip on a regular stock)
Has anyone else run into this with this type of stock?? I took the Speedfeed off and plan to sell it to someone who owns a Remington. I honestly would not feel safe having the stock on a Winchester.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. I had no idea that SpeedFeed used their 870 stocks with and adapter plate. I am disapointed with SpeedFeed for that because I have a IV-s on my 870 and think it is a great stock. You would think they would want Winchester owners to be happy too.

Anyway, if you decide to sell it, send me a PM (personal message). I have a friend who just got an 870 for Christmas that is looking for a new stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I noticed the same problem when replacing the original stock of my FN Police (essentially the 1300) in my posting:
"Could I Have Installed it Incorrectly"

I decided to stay with the Knoxx due to great reduction in recoil and just have to adjust trigger finger position. Still have a speed-loader stock that I never removed from its box. Maybe I'll sell it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My IV-S is on an FN Police. I have no problems with it at all. It is solid. The screw it came with fit perfectly.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I had the same problem when I put a Choate pistol grip stock on my 1300 Defender a few years ago. The trigger pull was so horrible,I first thought the safety was on. I took it back off and put it in a box under my loading bench were it still resides. The 1300 now wears a Hogue stock and forearm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should clarify that although I am not happy with the Speedfeed stock, I don't have anything against the company. It boils down to the design of the Winchester trigger. It works well as long as the direction of the trigger pull is upward. To be honest, I shouldered the 1300 with the Speedfeed and before discovering the trigger pull was hard, I came to the conclusion I don't like this type of stock on a shotgun. It just didn't feel right to me.

To give a little background about my shotgun experience, I had a pump action Mossberg which I sold over 15 years ago, and was used as my first dove hunting gun. I currently have a Franchi AL-48 that I bought used 18 years ago and is my pride and joy. I have hunted dove and quail with it every year since I got it.

I was more concerned about the looks of my new 1300 Defender than the actual "shootability". The Winshester is strictly a home defense gun, so I decided to keep it "as is" with the exception of a mounted light. I shot some low recoil 00 buck through it last weekend and found the recoil feels lighter than birdshot through the Franchi. (The Franchi does not have a recoil pad). The 1300 performed flawlessly, so I will leave well enough alone....for now :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts