Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 ga. shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. It has Spencer Gun Co. stamped on it and I found another stamp that says "patented in 18xx" (not sure what the exact date was). This may have belonged to my great grandfather. Is it possible it dates back to the 1800s? How long did Spencer make shotguns?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Spencer Gun Co is in the list of trade names made by Crescent Arms, Norwich, CT. (c. 1893-1930) The Spencer name also has been made by Hopkins & Allen (1892 - 1915) and Baker Arms (189? - 1919). It is quite likely that these were distributed by Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Company, a large hardware retail/wholesale business in Chicago. There is no relationship to the Spencer rifles manufactured in the Civil War era.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the info. Not sure if I can find anything about where my grandfather got this, but that's probably not important. It doesn't sound tlike this has any monetary value just sentimental.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.