Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot the Sporting Clays a couple of times... enjoyed the challenge. There are a number of Books and DVD's on the market relating to the art of Sporting Clays.

I would appreciate comments on the worthy DVD's and Books.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
DVDs - Bobby Fowler's recent DVD is pretty good and covers some of the common target types well. There is a pretty good review of it in the last Sporting Clays Magazine. I learned a lot on the looping target and the overhead tower shots from this DVD. He uses mainly a modified pre-mounted gun with mainly sustained lead which is what I try to do.
- OSP's practice DVD - Good info, I hate it when Gill stops and thinks before he talks, I'm like, spit it out this is a DVD and I've paid for this time... (Just a personal observation) I liked their book "If it ain't broke, fix it" better. I really hated the birds eye view segments in the DVD. I'm not sure I learned much from them. I like the eye-cam used by B Fowler better although it did not always show us what he was saying that he did.
- The Sporting Clays handbook is a good read for beginners.
- I liked the "If it ain't broke fix it" book by Gil and Vicky Ash. I have gone and reread sections on different presentations. Corny humor though.
- When I first started in Sporting I bought a VHS video with Marty Fisher which helped me a lot right off. It had the Eye-Cam and gave me some idea of sight pictures.
One thing that I have not found explained clearly is when to use the different shooting approaches to different targets. Like when is sustained lead appropriate versus swing through or pull ahead? The B. Fowler DVD gives a little bit on it but not much. Does anyone know where this is explained more thoroughly?

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts
jwints1100 said:
One thing that I have not found explained clearly is when to use the different shooting approaches to different targets. Like when is sustained lead appropriate versus swing through or pull ahead? The B. Fowler DVD gives a little bit on it but not much. Does anyone know where this is explained more thoroughly?
I don't know any videos or books which explain when to use which method, but I can tell you when I use certain methods.

I only use sustained lead on relatively slow targets in which I have lots of time to shoot the target. Examples of this would be a long quartering incomer or a perhaps a slow, arching crosser at medium distance.

On most of the rest of the shots, I use swing through or pull away....... depending on the distance and the speed. If it's a quartering shot or fast crossing shot at short to medium distance, I'll use the swing through method. If it's a long crosser, I'll use the pull away method. If it's a dropping target, I'll also use the pull away method on that one too.

A few shots are actually "spot shooting" type shots. Examples of this would be teal targets or a long, straight incomer in which you actually "aim" at the target (or slightly in front of it).

I didn't learn this from any book or video. I just learned it from shooting different types of targets and selecting what method works best for me. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.