Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not an advertisement nor is it spam. I'm a regular of the board, so don't flame me for asking for your opinion on a sporting clays course website.

I'm redesigning a website for a really nice sporting clays course here in Georgia. I'm looking for constructive criticism of the site itself. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I really want this site to look really nice for this course.

Here's the URL for the development server: http://cherokeerose.jasonyoung.net

The existing site is http://www.cherokeerosesporting.com. I know the new site looks much better, but does it look GOOD?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
828 Posts
BigDawg, Nice Job. You sold me That is a nice club and it will be on my to do list, The pictures are the big plus and you have the all information covered .

Scott

·
Registered
376 Posts
BigDawg,

Very nice job on the web site. The photos are great with all the right info.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Outstanding job, looks real good and it seems all the bases have been covered. Maybe a picture gallery that would show larger pictures one to a page ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. As for the photo gallery, it is in the works. I've gotten a ton more pictures, but I want them categorized into "galleries". I've got to work the with manager on getting the right pictures into the right galleries.

·
Premium Member
20,011 Posts
On the new site, the picture which is in the "Covered Five Stand" section is NOT a picture of a covered five stand. This is confusing and should be corrected with the correct picture.

In the section on "Club Hours", it is not clear (to me) whether the course is open on Thursday or Friday. The small dash after "Wednesday" tends to make me think it IS open those days, but others might not interpret it that way. It would be much clearer if you wrote out the days of the week that the club is open rather than lose business because someone did not understand the meaning of that little dash mark.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Good looking site! You might consider having fewer bytes in your pictures. Some of those will be real slow on a dial up system. For example, on the Rates and Hours page, the pix is over 225,000 bytes.
You might also mention that Casey was the first woman inducted into the NSCA Hall of Fame (2005). Cherokee Rose was also the host for the 2005 Georgia Sporting Clays Championships and will be the host for the 2006 Championships.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The other thing that you might want to look at is the navbar across the top. Two of the selections are two lines. It would look better if it were one line all the way across the top. This is especially true because Rates & Hours cuts into the banner.

Here's a screen shot:

I run 1600x1200 on my monitor so it is not a case that it is truncating because of a lack of screen room. FWIW, I use Firefox v1.5.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bopper said:
The other thing that you might want to look at is the navbar across the top. Two of the selections are two lines. It would look better if it were one line all the way across the top. This is especially true because Rates & Hours cuts into the banner.

I run 1600x1200 on my monitor so it is not a case that it is truncating because of a lack of screen room. FWIW, I use Firefox v1.5.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Firefox 1.5. It looked fine on 1.0.6. Apparently Firefox 1.5 doesn't like any spaces in the menu. I changed it to "Rates&Hours" and I changed the "Contact Us" to "Contact". It looks good now on 1.5. I run 1400x1050, but I don't understand the new "feature" of FF1.5. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
albanygun said:
Good looking site! You might consider having fewer bytes in your pictures. Some of those will be real slow on a dial up system. For example, on the Rates and Hours page, the pix is over 225,000 bytes.
You might also mention that Casey was the first woman inducted into the NSCA Hall of Fame (2005). Cherokee Rose was also the host for the 2005 Georgia Sporting Clays Championships and will be the host for the 2006 Championships.
I will be making those changes as well as adding the info about Casey and putting the GSCA logo with a link on the site. I will also add the 2006 Championships on there. This was a first run at a "shell" of the new and improved web site. Those pictures were taken with a 7 Megapixel camera, and once shrunk to the 745 pixel wide picture I wanted on the rates page, it still ended up being a large file.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ulysses said:
On the new site, the picture which is in the "Covered Five Stand" section is NOT a picture of a covered five stand. This is confusing and should be corrected with the correct picture.

In the section on "Club Hours", it is not clear (to me) whether the course is open on Thursday or Friday. The small dash after "Wednesday" tends to make me think it IS open those days, but others might not interpret it that way. It would be much clearer if you wrote out the days of the week that the club is open rather than lose business because someone did not understand the meaning of that little dash mark.
I didn't have a picture of the covered five stand to work with yet. I will have one soon which will be reflective of the course. I did want to put a picture of the 5-stand itself just so people could see how nice it looks. I will also clear up the days of operation.

Guys/Gals,

This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was looking for. Keep 'em coming.

Jason P. Young a.k.a. BigDawg

·
Premium Member
20,011 Posts
Jason,

What about Rental Guns???? Any good sporting clays range should have rental guns available. Lots of people may show up and not have a shotgun. It's a great business tool for the range to have a rental gun which they can rent out to those who don't have a gun. Then, of course, if the range has some guns for sale, they may then sell them a gun.

I've stopped in at some sporting clays ranges while I was out of town on business. Often I didn't have a gun with me. Usually the range had a gun to rent. Other times, I just borrowed someone's gun to shoot some sporting clays.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ulysses said:
Jason,

What about Rental Guns???? Any good sporting clays range should have rental guns available. Lots of people may show up and not have a shotgun. It's a great business tool for the range to have a rental gun which they can rent out to those who don't have a gun. Then, of course, if the range has some guns for sale, they may then sell them a gun.

I've stopped in at some sporting clays ranges while I was out of town on business. Often I didn't have a gun with me. Usually the range had a gun to rent. Other times, I just borrowed someone's gun to shoot some sporting clays.
That's a really good question about the rental guns. I am going to have to find out if they do. If they do, I'll probably put that on the Rates&Hours page so people will know how much guns rent for and what types of guns are offered. I'd bet they would be Berettas since Casey Atkinson, the manager, is the only female member of Team Beretta USA. :D Just a hunch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
albanygun said:
Done! I have converted all of the .gif's to .jpg's without losing any noticeable quality. The 225K pic is now 25K. I changed all of the pictures so the site is now much more dial-up friendly. I also added the additional info about Casey.

Ulysses said:
Done!

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
WHOA! Talk about a transformation! Welcome to the 21st century! I think the new site looks really good, especially compared to the old one. A couple, small, nit-picks...

IMHO, "Rates&Hours" jammed together looks a little unprofessional.

Star Shoot and Dove Tower need to be explained a little more, maybe some pictures. Maybe a diagram. From the description, I'm not 100% sure what the game is all about.

Pro Shop - What lines do they carry? Obvious for me from the banners in other shots, but maybe for someone not so informed. Maybe some pics?

On "Rates&Hours", "Oh, cash is OK as well." makes it look like an email, not a business.

What about reservations? Accepted, preferred, or walkups OK? How about an online reservation or mailto link to [email protected]

Directions? I don't care. Give me a link to mapquest/mappoint and your GPS co-ordinates. If you want to give YOUR directions as a secondary method of getting me there, OK.

I agree with the others, more pictures.

·
Registered
804 Posts
every question I could ask was answerd from the tool\menu bar just enough content I like it I will be in McDonough and I am going to drive on down and shoot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marist89 said:
WHOA! Talk about a transformation! Welcome to the 21st century! I think the new site looks really good, especially compared to the old one. A couple, small, nit-picks...

IMHO, "Rates&Hours" jammed together looks a little unprofessional.
I fixed it. I had a problem with FireFox 1.5 compatibility but I figured it out. I was just tired. In the JavaScript menu, I had to put " " instead of " " between the words even though they were in quotes. I'm scratching my head on that one, but it works well now.

marist89 said:
Star Shoot and Dove Tower need to be explained a little more, maybe some pictures. Maybe a diagram. From the description, I'm not 100% sure what the game is all about.

Pro Shop - What lines do they carry? Obvious for me from the banners in other shots, but maybe for someone not so informed. Maybe some pics?
Good questions. I'm not quite sure what star shot and dove tower entail at the facility myself. As for the pro shop, I'll need to get more information on that one as well.

marist89 said:
On "Rates&Hours", "Oh, cash is OK as well." makes it look like an email, not a business.
It looks much nicer now that I have changed the wording to say "we accept cash, personal checks, Visa, etc."

marist89 said:
What about reservations? Accepted, preferred, or walkups OK? How about an online reservation or mailto link to [email protected]

Directions? I don't care. Give me a link to mapquest/mappoint and your GPS co-ordinates. If you want to give YOUR directions as a secondary method of getting me there, OK.

I agree with the others, more pictures.
I'm going to have to get with the manager on your other questions. I'm pretty new to this club and just shot it for the first time last week. This site as it is now is a "freebie" to the club for my work for me to help give the club some justice online. Additional features will cost additional $$$ or club credit Essentially I was just trying to present their existing content in a much more professional way. I'm hoping this turns into a really good relationship with the club for me. There is so much more I can do for the site to make it AWESOME. I think it is GOOD now. Shoot for free sounds nice to me. Are you reading Casey? :D

Thank you for being "nit-picky". That's exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Star Shot was a television game back in the 80-90s time frame. It is actually located in front of the 5-stand and trap houses at Cherokee Rose and cannot be seen until you activate it and it raises up. It looks like a giant half of a fan, and is made in sections. All targets are thrown upward, and flies across one of these sections. Best I can remember, you started at the top which is easier, and had to break the target in that section to gain points. As you moved down the tower, the targets are harder to break and more points are acumulated. It was shot at night and the tower was lit so you could see the breaks easier. Celebrities shot the event, and they usually had a knowledgable shooter giving advice, and shooting with the celeb. The only part I didn't like is that everyone soon learned to hit well, you had to shoot with a canted gun. As far as anyone knows, it is the only surviving Star Shot in the US. The other was located in Los Angeles at the Pacmayer Gun Club, and I think that is B & B now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I remember Star Shot. I remember watching Star Shot on ESPN as a kid. That was one of my favorites! Geez, that was a long time ago. I remember when Star Shot was on when ESPN didn't have the rights to show anything other than Australian Rules Football, rodeos, Scholastic Sports America, any other obscure sport, etc. I even remember when SportsCenter didn't even show clips of games. They just talked about them. Boy has ESPN come a long ways in the last 25 years. Then again, so has sporting clays. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts